MSCAD2001 SHUTDOWN

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Michael Sprouffske

MSCAD2001 SHUTDOWN

Post by Michael Sprouffske » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:10 pm

I start a new job; start the enter traverse routine; get all the way to the point where one would begin to enter the traverse and I get a shutdown notice from Microsoft, "MSCAD.EXE must close. The error report is a mile long. I sent it on to Bill Gates; maybe he has a fix.

I use Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 8500. I know I should upgrade to 2004, but I'm of Scottish ancestry.

Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Not a normal place to crash...

Post by Darcy Detlor » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:18 pm

Hello,

Since this is an abnormal place for the program to experience a problem. I would look at system hints. Where is the drawing? What is the traverse name? Is the drawing local or on a network drive? How long is the path name for the traverse file?

This type of problem may point to a corrupt configuration file of some type that is causing the error when it is read on traverse initialization.

Un-installing, erasing the program directory, and re-installing might remove a problem configuration file that is created locally. Of course, if you are going to try this, MAKE SURE THAT YOU SAVE any files that you have modified in the program directories.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com

Michael Sprouffske

Update on shutdown

Post by Michael Sprouffske » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:00 am

I was attempting to make a manual traverse entry. If I skip the "Enter Traverse Parameters" box (hit OK without entering anything), the program works and I am given the "Enter the setup information" box. If I fill in the Traverse Parameters I get the shutdown notice.

Is there a better cure than uninstall/reinstall? If one didn't have to contact the Microsurvey Mothership for codes, that process would be OK, BUT, I will be doing it after 4 p.m. Pacific Time.

Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

What are you entering in the Job description fields?

Post by Darcy Detlor » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:30 am

Hi there,

This leads to the obvious question of what you are entering into the job description fields. They are fixed length fields. Perhaps you are entering too many characters or a character that is somehow invalid. Seems odd, but give me an example.

If you un-install the program and then re-install, all you will need is the 16 digit CAD Key number which was shipped to you. The MicroSurvey password is not stored in the MSCAD directory or subdirectories. It will not be required.

Thanks,
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com