Wide format scanners....

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Wide format scanners....

Postby Morg » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:32 am

We are looking at purchasing a large format scanner...if you've got any info you feel would help it would be appreciated.

Thanks...
No sig for me....
Morg

large format scanner

Postby Dennis » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:50 pm

I go to Kinko's once in a while to get a large document scanned and I think they use an Oce? They produce a tiff file on my cd and I have good results using the file in PCDraft. Haven't tried to use one in MicroSurvey yet. ddm
Dennis

Wide format scanner

Postby Ron Mak » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:54 am

We just bought a Contex Premier TX-36 from the drafting clinic. It is amazingly fast (scans 24 x 36 in - I'm guessing - about 30 seconds: 5 seconds to go through the machine, and about 25 seconds for it to appear on the screen) $10K, but we are scanning about 40,000 plans and moving everything onto "Land Survey Records".http://www.landsurveyrecords.com Make sure you check out software, because that is another "surprise" expense. We use software provided by LSR and it is very good.
Ron Mak

Postby Morg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:56 am

Thanks for the replies!!

Ron - We are looking to do something similar to that. Hmmm, "surprise" expenses are always great... :shock:
No sig for me....
Morg

Postby Morg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:50 am

Ron,

How is the scan quality? Is it OK to scan older plans or just strictly new ones??
No sig for me....
Morg

scan quality

Postby Ron Mak » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:15 am

We scan at 200 DPI and quality is very good. Scanning old linnens with a yellow-brown background only requires a few tries to get the setting right, but after that the quality is great - much better than a print!
Ron Mak

Postby Morg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:20 am

Any probs with fold lines/creases? Or can you edit them out??
No sig for me....
Morg

Fold lines

Postby Ron Mak » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:43 am

I have scanned a few with folds, but nothing shows up on the scan. I think that is more a function of the software though. The LSR software seems very sophisticated although it is so automated I don't really know everything it does before it displays the final image. I can see the possiblity of small errors in scale if a fold line is particularly bad.

One thing that came with the scanner is a clear mylar folder. Badly creased, wrinkled or old brittle plans can be placed in the folder which helps hold them flat. I had to use this for the old linnen which had been rolled up for 20 years.
Ron Mak

Postby Morg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:47 am

That's great...Thanks a ton Ron!!

Have a good one!!

Morgan
No sig for me....
Morg

Return to MicroSurvey CAD