[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - Plotting question

Plotting question

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Plotting question

Postby Michael Parrella » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:34 am

Is there a way to plot different line weights (thickness) for the same color? It seems as though you can only one pen width per color. I know that other programs allow you to have different weights for the same color pen (ie set pen weights by layers).
Thanks in advance.
Michael Parrella

Postby rwhatman » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:54 am

Plotting the same Color at different widths can be only done by
Drawing Polylines with different widths.

I would not do it but, many do.
rwhatman

Postby Michael Parrella » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:03 am

Glen
Can we put the ability to assign different pen widths to layers not just color, on the MicroSurvey wish list? I don't think that drawing polylines is the answer and is not always applicable. Does anyone have a "standard" color/pen width table that they care to share?
Michael Parrella

Plotting

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:10 am

This is really out of our direct control as the CAD manufacturer is the company that controls how plotting works. We will pass on the suggestion to them, so they can record it.

Plotting by colour is the standard that has been used in the CAD industry for almost 20 years now. Each layer can have entities with multiple colours on it, thereby giving the most latitude available for pen widths. Plines can be drawn in the rare case, where wide lines are required but they can not be done easily by colour.

Every company uses different colour assigments to pen widths.

If we go back to the old manual drafting days as a reference, most companies would use 4 to 6 different pen weights on their drawings. If we equate that to today, then we would need a minimum of 4 to 6 colours in the drawing to get the same sort of output.

We have 256 colours available so we can do much better than the old days. You can have many more pen widths defined in a drawing, if desired. you can also have multiple colours using the same pen width, making the drawing easier to view on screen but still conforming to the desired pen widths you require.

Cheers,
Last edited by Glen Cameron on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Plotting to a HPGL file or to a PDF file? Microsurvey

Postby burford1@earthlink.net » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:51 am

How does micro survey save a file in order for me to take the files with all the raster images and all attributes to a printing service? My printer says that he can plot acad file types but the raster images will disappear when saving the file as an acad file so the printer suggested that I save it as an hpgl or a pdf file. How do I do that?
burford1@earthlink.net

plot files

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:04 pm

You could install a printer driver for the exact make and model of the plotter that your service uses. Configure it to plot to a file. Then take your plot files to your service, as you create them, so they can copy the file to their plotter. This may be one option for you.

The PDF option we discused in other messages may also be a good solution for you.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Michael O'Connor » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:02 am

For plotting within MS Cad I have adjusted line color and weight in the Configure area of the plot menu. (i.e., I have no use for the colors 19, 29, 39 ect., so I have assigned all those layers the color "black" and varied the line width according to a desired pen weight, layer 19 = line width 0.28, layer 29 = line weight .020, layer 39 = line weight .016). These layers now emulate line weights equilevent to the old technical pen standards. The same can be achieved for any color assignment one wishes. Of the 255 available layers, I only use and plot with 20 +/- colors, which avails many groups of layers to be assigned a specific color and line width.

I hope this is of some help.

Michael
Michael O'Connor

Return to MicroSurvey CAD