[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - some questions pertaining to the software

some questions pertaining to the software

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

some questions pertaining to the software

Postby POTENTIAL BUYER » Wed May 26, 2004 3:50 pm

Hi

I am evaluating MSCAD2004 sp5 for future purchase (maybe up to 8 copies). I was wondering if you would have a list of known bugs that we would have to contend with.

Here are some questions that I have pertaining to this software:
1) I have different toolbars appearing when I restart the software after a crash. Their position is also displaced.
2)The utility to thaw a frozen layer does not seem to work. It does not list the frozen layers.
3)When I highlight the text for editing the colour of the text remains the same.
4)Multiline text does not give me the MSURVEY font as an option.
5)I does not seem to support AUTOCAD fence line linetype.
6)If Microsurvey goes out of business, how would I receive password
support. ie: if my computer crashes and I need to reinstall
7)Can you provide us with hardware locks instead
8)Is there another service pack in the works?
POTENTIAL BUYER

Postby Darcy Detlor » Sat May 29, 2004 9:55 pm

Hello,

We have some advanced technical support options using high speed internet that allow us to view your computer screen, or we can show you our computer screen. This makes technical support much faster and easier. Our company would be very happy to hook up and review your questions. Some of your questions are difficult to understand, or we cannot replicate, but I will try to answer your questions here:

1) I have different toolbars appearing when I restart the software after a crash. Their position is also displaced.

Answer: Of course we do not accept crashing as a normal part of program operation. If we can replicate a crash, we move it to the top of the priority list and it is corrected in the next service pack. The toolbars are changing in the next service pack to make them more stable.

2)The utility to thaw a frozen layer does not seem to work. It does not list the frozen layers.

Answer - Unfortunately I cannot duplicate this. The layer manager shows the frozen layers, and the isolate/un-isolate commands handle frozen layers.

3)When I highlight the text for editing the colour of the text remains the same.

Answer - it could be that the highlight color is the same color as the text. This can be changed in the CONFIG command.

4)Multiline text does not give me the MSURVEY font as an option.

Answer - Multiline text uses True Type fonts.

5)I does not seem to support AUTOCAD fence line linetype.

Answer - the program works with custom line types. Is the linetype file loaded? Is the linetype scale set correctly?

6)If Microsurvey goes out of business, how would I receive password
support. ie: if my computer crashes and I need to reinstall.

MicroSurvey has been creating and selling software for almost 20 years. Going out of business is not an option! :)

7)Can you provide us with hardware locks instead

Answer - we found that hardware locks generated a huge amount of technical support, and provided very little benefit. We have some flexibility in our licensing that is not the standard in this business. Normally we license people, not computers, because people often have multiple computers. We need to talk about your situation.

8)Is there another service pack in the works?

Answer - yes, we are planning on a major service pack update next week. SP6 will improve the ADT coordinate and raw data editors, it will probably (we are still working on this) re-introduce the Project Manager, and it will improve DWG2004 (and 2005) compatibility. We will announce the SP on this forum for all our customers, and we will email all current owners a download link.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby ianw2 » Sun May 30, 2004 9:01 am

Neither your questions nor Darcy’s answers alluded to one of the most important features of Microsurvey; one beyond price or value, in my opinion:

Personal attention by people who know what they’re talking about both as surveyors and software vendors.

We recently considered changing CAD Software because of some of the difficulties we’ve had in moving to the 2004 platform. The new platform is NOT a minor upgrade to improve sales and cash flow. It is damned near a new concept all together!

The attention and personal service from Ed Henderson, Jason Poitras and Darcy Detlor convinced me that we are with the right CAD company for our company.

What other vendor has 800 numbers, email, inexpensive service plans, a technical support website AND A WEB FORUM?

As long as I post a question to the forum during reasonable hours, I can expect a reply form SOMEONE within an hour or two. Try that with some of the other vendors.

Right now, we’re chomping on the bit to get our hands on FieldGenius 2004! Laura is knock simple drafting out like there’s no tomorrow and getting very excited about training in Santa Rosa next month.

“Potential”, if you have any questions, call Microsurvey. You’ll be glad you did.

And, No, I don’t own shares in the company; just copies of the software….
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby Darcy Detlor » Sun May 30, 2004 10:07 am

Thank you Ian for your support and nice comments.

I guess that answering a prospective customer's questions at 10 oclock on a Saturday night is a bit unusual :)

I was just the first one to it. If it was not me, I'm sure one of the other guys would have been on it soon.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Follow-up

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun May 30, 2004 1:57 pm

I did some testing in my office as well and found the following: (I am using SP#6 beta - and my results may vary slightly from SP#5. As was mentioned SP#6 will be out very shortly)

2) the routine did work for me with multiple layers frozen. It displayed all of the frozen layers and allowed me to thaw them by selecting them.
3) There is a variable that can be turned off so highlighting of selected text is not shown. Go to the Settings menu -> Settings -> Edit Parameters -> Highlight Objects when Selected (bottom left of dialog box) and check to see if it is on.
4) The MTEXT command has 3 tabs in the top left of the screen. The first "Character" uses only True Type Fonts, but the second tab "Properties" allows you to choose from any existing styles set in the drawing. Msurvey can be set in one of them, for placement in the drawing. (EDIT - it appears I was wrong - they changed the CAD routine and now it only seems to work with True Type Fonts in this location as well)
5) If you would like to email me the LIN definition file you are using, I would be happy to test it here for you. support@microsurvey.com

The rest I think has already been answered.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD