autosave

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

autosave

Postby Vincent Popish » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:30 am

Hi:
I have checked the date and time of the flx drawing, and when the save feature saves the drawing it is not changing the date and time of the flx or the bak files. That is, if the autoesave function is really working. I think it is. I changed the autosave to 10 min under the toggles box, not the configure box, which is still disabled. Shouldn't it be updating the date-time stamp for the files? That way I can know that I am at least relatively safe when I see that the most I can loose is a few minutes work.

It seems to me that when it is saving and I am doing a zoom in or out with the scroll button at exactly the same time, is when I get exception errors and loose the drawing. And if it is really exactly the same time that it is updating both the flx and the bak, I loose both drawings to corruption, and then they are not openable. Just a possibility, put it out here on the site in case any one else noticed the same thing.

Thanks
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

autosave

Postby Vincent Popish » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:55 am

Hi:
Sometimes it does update the date-time stamp. What the difference is I don't understand yet. I have tried a couple experiments and it seems to work fine at least part of the time. I had one drawing open for several hours this morning and it didn't update it, then I closed it and open it again and this time it seems to be updating it every ten minutes just like it should. I tried another drawing and had similar results, work one time and not the next.
The reason it is such a concern to me is that we have had a couple of drawings in the last couple of weeks that had an error, evidently exactly at the time it was saving, and thereafter been unable to open either the flx or the bak drawing.
Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

A little clarification on how it works

Postby Darcy Detlor » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:50 pm

Hi Vince,

The Autosave function is not part of the "CAD". It is something that we do. Since it is not part of the CAD, it can only happen when you run a command that we are aware of.

This includes most editing commands, and virtually all the commands on the MsTools, MsPoints, MsCOGO, MsTraverse, and MsAnnotate pulldowns.

If you execute commands that do not change the drawing, then no save action will occur. As soon as you give a command like "move", then we check the time to see if n minutes have elapsed and if they have, we give the actual SAVE command. We do this because it is more secure than the built in CAD autosave. The SAVE command does a full backup to create the .bak file, and it causes our database to compress and backup to create the .mbk file.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Return to MicroSurvey CAD