[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - AutoMAP Symbols disappearing?

AutoMAP Symbols disappearing?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

AutoMAP Symbols disappearing?

Postby Marko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:56 am

I'm finding that my AutoMAP symbols sometimes disappear from my drawings despite there being no change in the point Description. The only way I can get the symbols back is to alter the point description, then change it back to the desired description. (or rescale complete drawing which is not convenient)

I've discussed this with Jason Poitras but he has not had any other reports of this problem. Are there any others out there seeing this happening?

Thank you
Marko

Descriptions vanishings

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:14 am

Which Service Patch do you have installed? Is it SP#9? If not then please grab it and see if this remians a problem. I do not remember anyone else reporting this as a problem, but lets dig into it a bit more and see if we can figure it out. Call me directly at 1-877-752-2911 if you wish.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Marko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:21 am

Hi Glen,

I'm actually seeing this in inCAD2004 SP2...but Leonard's successors mentioned seeing the same problem in MSCAD. Since there are many more users of MSCAD, I've posted here to see if anyone else is seeing the problem.

It happens somewhat randomly. There has to be some situation where a point gets rewritten/updated to the DB in some special scenario that is missing the "check autoMAP for instructions" step, so the symbol does not get replaced. I do know that it is nothing to do with directly changing the Description of a point, as it always seems to work in that case.

Thanks

Mark Cahill
Marko

Postby rwhatman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:17 am

I posted on Aug 5 that the problem of missing BARS (symbols)was caused by Audit Datebase program.

If you run Audit Datebase All NEW bars that where added in the last saved job will have the description removed.

Please view my August 5 findings.

I also e-mailed I believe both Mark and Glen my findings, but both
where on Holidays at the same time and may have missed my e-mail.
rwhatman

Postby Marko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:28 am

That's interesting Richard.

I lose my post symbols placed by AutoMAP but the points still have their descriptions. It only happens sometimes, but this means I have to be watching for missing symbols all the time.

Mark
Marko

Postby marko » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:50 am

I wanted to bump this back to the top of the list.

We're still seeing our AutoMAP symbols "fall off of the drawing" when either re-processing traverse data, or after running the Audit Database function in inCAD2006 and MSCAD 2005.

If any others are seeing this problem, please let us know.

thanks
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Automap symbols

Postby Carole » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:39 pm

This happens to me, too. It seems to happen after I do something major to a drawing, like rescale it, or insert a block from an old file. It doesn't happen too often, though, so I usually just delete the description and then replace it and the symbol reappears.
I have some funny things happen with my Automap symbols, too. (I know this is the wrong thread.) I find that it seems to depend on which data collector I get the raw data from. Sometimes the layers will all be colour 255. Sometimes only some of them are. I also have some symbols that just don't appear. They're in the library and appear in the thumbnail but don't show up on the plan. Again, they're not too common and I've learned to search the text file for them and correct them manually.
Carole

Postby marko » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks for replying Carole. I was hoping there were others who had seen this.
This little problem has been around a long time...but is difficult to reproduce on demand. Once we can figure out how to reliably reproduce it, the developers may be able to fix it.
cheers
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby Minda Riley » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:50 am

I have had that problem for years, as well as other "small glitches" that I have just learned to work around. I do the same thing.... just change the descriptor and then change it back, or run Automap, or close the drawing and reopen it with the "Audit Database" toggle on. However, I find that auditing the database can create other problems, so I use it only when I have to. Also the Automap can be annoying as it will go through all the points, and re-layer everything (sometimes I move items to different layers within a drawing for a variety of reasons), move all the pointnumbers and descriptors back to their original location (sometimes I move them if there are a number of points close together), which reverses all those individal changes made throughout the life of a drawing. So, I mostly just go through and change each point manually to solve the problem of missing symbols.

It is good to know that it happens to others, as I have given up on getting support.

I am looking at upgrading to the newest version, as I haven't done so in a few years. Anyone have comments on the newest version??

M. Riley
Minda Riley

Postby artb » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:41 am

You are not alone.

I regularly lose automap symbols in mscad2005. I alter the desc. as you describe and re-enter the a-m-s desc. and the symbol reappears.

It is rare for me to complete any project without losing 1 or more symbols.

I have not seen or figured out any combination of things that creates this problem as of yet but I keep watching and hoping that a trigger will surface.

There clearly is an issue with this process

artb
artb
artb

Postby artb » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:47 am

One other comment I missed.

You mention SP#9. Your last posting is SP#3.

Are there 6 more SP's that I don't know about or are you referring to something else??????
artb
artb

Postby rwhatman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:22 am

I posted the problem some time ago.

Audit drawing still has a problem as I just checked it
and found if you put blocks the second time in the drawing
then run the Audit program, that all blocks from second sestion is removed and not from first time in.

I have MSCAD 2005 SP1.3

Don't run Audit program as it will remove NEW blocks from the drawing.
rwhatman

Postby Kevin B. » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:57 am

I also have a problem with losing automap symbols sometimes. I like to change the layers of my point numbers, descriptions ect, so I don't like to use the rescale or audit database unless I absolutely have to because it relayers everything. I would also love to see what layer a point is in using the coordinate editor.
Kevin B.

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:51 am

If anyone has a foolproof way to reproduce the issue being dicussed, please let us know. We have tried many different cases and can not reproduce it. If we can't reproduce it then it is very difficult to fix it.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby marko » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:18 am

I've seen this happen two ways:

1-The Audit Database command...often results in "a few" symbols disappearing
2-Re-coordinating traverse data. Symbols sometimes disappear off of points that are not being moved by the recoordinate process.

I have not confirmed if the symbols disappear when the point coordinates change?

In both cases, my Description stored with the point remains unchanged.

Like the others, I trick the system into resaving the point by changing the Description, then changing it back to the original...AutoMAP then replaces the symbol.
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby rwhatman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:47 am

Check your e-mail Glen example on the way
rwhatman

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:44 pm

Thank you one and all - Brian and I are going to dig into this a bit more and see what we can find. Anything we can confirm will be passed to the programmers to digest and see if they can fix for a future patch or version.

cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby Darcy Detlor » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:54 am

Glen/Brian,

If you can find a reproducible case, I'm sure I can fix it. I get to program for a couple of months (normally can't fit that in any more) so I look forward to fixing this one.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby Brian Sloman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:54 am

I am able to reproduce it, so yes we should be able to fix it.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to MicroSurvey CAD