0 layer color change

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

0 layer color change

Postby T.M. Moretz » Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:34 am

The default color for the 0 layer is white. A habit I picked up from my first company when I started using CAD (R12) was to change this color to red and many of my blocks are that old. I find that if I need to save a drawing as R12-2002 .dwg the 0 layer color has reverted back to white and subsequently parts of or all of those blocks are the wrong color. I thought that I was the only one with this problem since nobody else has brought it up here but I received my FieldGenius movie CD a couple of days ago (slick program) and noticed a shot of one of your drawings on your computor screen at CD time 8:34. The 0 layer is a light blue so changing the 0 layer color is not too uncommon. Is this a bug or how can I correct this?
T.M. Moretz

Layer Zero Color

Postby Glen Cameron » Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:47 am

Hi Ted - Looks like you may have indeed found a small bug in the CAD engine.

I just tried one here in MSCAD2002 SP#2 and set and saved the layer to color Magenta. Then saved in AutoCAD R12 and R2002 DWG and opened them in R2002 - the layer was back to color white.

We will make sure this is passed on to the programmers - Thank You!

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:53 am

Ted
I may be wrong, but thought we should never use the 0 layer.
0 Layer can never be purged from the drawing and I think you might even
have problems if you delete it. If you want to rename objects on this layer
you could have a problem. The 0 layer is the CADS default layer with a default Color.

In the past I had problems because of 0 layer.

There may be more then just a color problems using 0 layer.

You have used it all along and had no problems, edit this layer and
things can happen.

I hope I am wrong.

I would not use it at all.
rwhatman

0 layer

Postby T.M. Moretz » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:17 am

:wink: As you know the 0 layer is automatically created with any new drawing with default color and linetype - it can't be renamed, purged, or erased but its properties can be manipulated - it can be frozen, thawed, or locked as with any layer you create. I think that if it was not intended to be used it would be hidden and not at the top of the list with the options of color and linetype change. I've used it for years with no problems and this color change issue is just as Glen said, a small bug that can be fixed. I think that it is a general purpose layer for those of us who don't want to create/wade through too many different layers for every line or block we create or insert in each drawing.
T.M. Moretz

Layer zero

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:32 pm

Layer Zero is a special layer and is not normally used for general drafting. The original training I attended by AutoDesk indicated that they needed a default layer and zero was chosen. It is at the top of the layer list as the list is sorted by alphnumerics.

Layer zero is special when it comes to part creation/insertion, hatches, exploding of both, and many other items.

I typically do not use layer zero for drafting of permanent linework - it is my construction layer for parts, construction lines, hatching, etc.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

To Rwhatman

Postby T.M. Moretz » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:07 am

I believe that I now see the wisdom of your ways regarding the use of the 0 layer. We were trying to copy an old drawing into a topo we had just created and were needing to freeze certain layers that weren't needed but with so many things created with the zero layer - many blocks, many symbols, some text, and so on - it was almost impossible to isolate the layers needed without making most of the drawing disappear or too much of it appear - it was a fiasco and ended up being an unnecessarily time consuming project . I have since exploded all of my old blocks and taken the lines, arcs, circles, and text and changed them from the 0 layer to a more appropriate layer. As Glen C. suggested the 0 layer is only used for temp. line work and inserting blocks only from now on. Oh well, live and learn.
T.M. Moretz

Return to MicroSurvey CAD