Scale Raw data

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Scale Raw data

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:59 am

I completed a topo survey in metric units and now the client wants an imperial drawing. I used the SCALERAW command and it seemed to do what I wanted - except for the instrument and target heights. They remained as they were recorded in metric. That would mean that the elevations are all wrong, are they not?
Glen A. Quarmby

scaleraw

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:37 am

The Scaleraw command was setup to scale in 2D and the elevations are not accommodated.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:29 pm

Your response raises so many questions I don't know where to start but let's start with this:
Why would you write a routine that scales raw data and produces three dimensional point data (albeit wrong elevations) but not address the target and instument heights? And not warn users of the shortcomings?
It is one thing if software cannot do what you want, it is quite another if it appears to do it but does it incorrectly. Knowingly publishing such routines can destroy faith in otherwise good software.
Glen A. Quarmby

scaleraw

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:52 pm

The routine was asked for by a specific client and it was written to do exactly what they had asked. It has not been expanded to look after the elevation aspects as yet, being the client did not require this at the time of writting. Rather than simply supplying them with the command, it was added to the program for the masses to use, if they felt it would help them.

As with the entire program, it is always in flux and will continue to be expanded, as time permits and as required to service our clients. Routines may have limitations when they are fiirst written but as clients ask for more options they are fine tuned and continue to grow and expand to cover everything that everyone could think of.

I will ensure that your concern on this command is noted in the database to have it examined when the development team is next visiting this area of the program.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:27 pm

Thanks for your comments Glen.
If the command set all elevations to zero it would be a 'limitation'. If the command produces incorrect elevations it is a major bug which should be fixed immediatley upon discovery. The history of the command and the fact that it met another surveyor's particular requirements are totally irrelevant to me. If it is in the software package I expect it to work correctly.
Glen A. Quarmby

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:29 pm

Hello,

The command was added to help customers convert their measured ground distances to grid distances. It was never intended to be used to convert the entire raw file between metric and feet units.

But......... That would be a nice feature so I will add it to our wish list.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to MicroSurvey CAD