Program Crashes

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Program Crashes

Postby Minda Riley » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:10 pm

When I am using the lot closure program in MSCAD2002 the entire program crashes quite frequently. There is no pattern, that I can see, as to when or why it crashes, but the entire program shuts down and sends me an "error log" message. Is there any way to stop this from happening?
Minda Riley

Postby Mark Budgen » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:36 pm

Does the program give any messages about the cause of the crash? For example, is there an invalid page fault or ??? in any specific DLL's? Can you click on any Details of the crash and let me know what they might be? Also, what operating system are you currently using and how much RAM is on your computer?
Mark Budgen

RAM helped me

Postby T.M. Moretz » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:25 pm

:wink: I had a problem with the Streets And Intersections routine crashing on me and Glen suggested I get more RAM (it's the cheapest way to upgrade a system). I am using Windows 98SE and had 128 Meg. of RAM, I now have 256 Meg. and the system runs fine, not really any faster - just no more crashes.
T.M. Moretz

Windows 98SE and ME

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:01 pm

Of course some of the problem may be related to Windows 98SE and ME as we have found from many clients that the memory management is very poor and can lead to some freeze ups and crashes strictly due to the version of Windows. We have had much better luck with Windows 2000 and XP and anyone having problems with 98SE or 98ME that has upgraded, has seen their problems go away.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD