alphanumeric points MSCAD 2004

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

casual22

alphanumeric points MSCAD 2004

Post by casual22 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:40 am

I am demoing a topcon hiper lite+ GPS system. When I have been staking outplan points on the job site the stored point for my stake out point can be stored as an alphanumeric point i.e. 4367_stk. This seems to be very simple rather than storing the point as a diffferent point number. Is there anyway to import these types of points into my database. :?:

Glen Cameron

Point numbers

Post by Glen Cameron » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:54 am

MSCAD does not have the ability to currently support Alpha-Numeric Point ID's. We can only use Numbers in our Point Numbers, and Alpha-Numeric in our Descriptions and Notes.

It is on our development list for the future, but no time frame has been set as yet for it to be added to the product.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

Glen A. Quarmby

Alphanumeric point numbers

Post by Glen A. Quarmby » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:29 am

Be careful with this one. Adding alpha capabilities means that you can have multiple points with the same number. MS2004 might be designed to handle it but many data collectors won't. This creates problems when you upload files.

Richard Sands

Alpha Numerics

Post by Richard Sands » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:38 pm

You could overcome this if you can download an ASCCI file in some recognisable config and then open it in Excel, create a new column, sort the data, change the '_stk' to nothing, add a constant 1000 or something of your choice to the stakeout point numbers, and cut and paste that back into the alphanumeric point number part of the data and import that into MSCAD. Excel wll handle the addition for you. A bit of a long way about, but a work around.
Can you tell the data recorder to add a constant number rather than append alpha characters?
regards
Richard