Writing parts - what's going wrong?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Writing parts - what's going wrong?

Postby Paul the Cad guy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:10 am

Seems that when we write parts from a drawing and bring it in to another drawing something is going wrong.

No matter what we pick for the part, for example, picking just some boundary lines of a subdivision to bring in and overlay onto another drawing, every single bit of the line work that the part was written from comes in.
I picked five or six lines from a drawing to put into another drawing to avoid having to draw it all over again, and all the line work from the drawing came in along with the lines I had picked. Of course I can explode the part and erase what I don't want or need, but this seems like time wasted for nothing.
What am I doing wrong? Is there anybody else that has experienced this?
Paul the Cad guy

Parts

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:47 am

Are you creating the part inside the drawing using the Draw menu -> Parts/Blocks -> Define Part command, and then inserting the original drawing into the new job? Or are you using the Draw menu -> Parts/Blocks -> Write Part File command and inserting the newly created part into your new job?

The correct way is the second method.

There is a technical note on this web-site, at the following link, that may also help describe the process to follow: http://www.microsurvey.com/support/shar ... -parts.htm

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Paul the Cad guy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:52 am

Using the second method, writing the part in one drawing (creating an external part) and inserting it into a second drawing.
Will look at the tech note.
Paul the Cad guy

Postby Paul the Cad guy » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:10 am

Tech note doesn't shed much light.
Far as I can tell I'm following the correct procedure, it just brings in all the line work from the drawing that the part is being written from.
Have tried opening the part as a drawing and purging it before inseerting it into the other drawing.
Makes no difference.
The only thing I'm doing different than the procedure you mention is that I'm using a shorcut icon in the parts toobar to write the external part rather than going through the pull-down menus. Shouldn't make a difference, should it?
Paul the Cad guy

Parts

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:55 pm

Please give me a call on Monday March 28th and I will see what we can figure out. I have tried it here a few times and it has worked correctly for me so it must be something simple that we are overlooking.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby Paul the Cad guy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:49 am

Glen,
Sorry I did not see this post until Tuesday the 29th. If possible, could you call me at your convenience on Wednesday the 30th @ 352-799-9020?
As long as it doesn't get too awfully busy, I will try to call you.

I went through the pull downs to see if it would make a difference and it did not. Should you be on any particular layer when writing a part? When writing the part, the selections made are the only ones to disappear, but when inserting that part into another drawing, same as usual, every bit of the line work comes in with it. The same method worked swimmingly in MSCad 2002, so I am stymied.

Also, nodes are coming in and polylines are not.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul the Cad guy

Postby rwhatman » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi Paul

I just wounder if I can help.

I have read what you wrote and I just wounder if you are getting mixed up with a small detail.

Do you make a the PART before you Write the Part to a File.

In AutoCAD you can do it in all in one step. MSCAD you can not.

You make the Internal Part first then write a external Part second from picking on the button PART and the internal Part name.

My best advice is it you are doing it the hard way. Use Copy and Past button when you only want to pick part of a drawing.

If both drawings are in the same database it is very easy to copy and past
line work.

Pick the Copy button then type 0,0 as your insertion point because the line work is in the same database.

Then open the other drawing pick the PAST button, type 0,0 again and just hit the enter key .

Just the lines you want in the layers you want will show up.

Its that easy.
rwhatman

Parts

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:02 pm

Richard - you can write a part to a file directly without creating a part internal to the drawing. I do this all the time.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:45 pm

Right again Glen

Do you ever make a mistake.

Yes there is that SELECT button. It works great, but you might want to add
that when select and pick all the lines.

Don't forget to pick UNDO, because that Select option CUTS the lines out of the Drawing.

I never destroy a drawing that I copy from. Someday you may have to make two drawings or more from that one drawing.

Have great day Glen

Richard
rwhatman

Parts.

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:40 am

I connected with Paul and we figured out the problem.

His program is configured to work in R14 DWG files only so no FLX files are created. So when we wrote out the PART it was being saved as a DWG. This is where the problem was found - there is a bug in that routine so it does not work correctly if defaulting to a DWG (R14). When we forced it to save to a FLX, then the routine worked exactly as it should.

So in short - always create the parts as FLX files in MSCAD2004, and it will work correctly.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby Paul the Cad guy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:49 am

Just wanted to say thanks again for the assist, Glen.
I personally can't wait for the release of the 2005 version of MSCad and we won't be dealing with these little glitches in compatability between .dwg's and .flx's anymore! :lol:
Since all the clients we deal with use .dwg's this will solve several headaches.
Paul the Cad guy

Return to MicroSurvey CAD