Nikon 522 downloading issue

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Nikon 522 downloading issue

Postby GEM » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:22 am

I have a Nikon 522 that I want to download data into MSCAD. The issue that am having is that it seems that when the data is downloaded from the Nikon, the format is changed from N,E to E, N. So when I inport into an existing coord file, the points are incorrect because of the E,N format. The issuse has cropped up when I went back to do some extra field work. I didn't notice the issue with the initial field work because I didn't occupy known points. When I imported the initial field work, I needed to rotate/translate any way. Now I have gone back to do extra field work and the download is mixed up. I have had the MSCAD 2004 for several months but have done very little with the software. Any help would be appreciated.

GEM
GEM

Nikon

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:59 am

When you read in the Nikon collector file, there is a dialog that asks you:
"Is your data file in Survey X,Y,Z = N,E,Z format?"

If you answered no the first time - try it with a yes this time.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

nikon donwload

Postby GEM » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:23 pm

I check for the x,y,z, / N,E format at the "data collector download" menu and it didn't ask for the format. I followed the propmpts for the download up to the "start download now" icon (I didn't go further becasue I don't have the gun hooked up). However, I did not recieve a prompt for the x,y, z / N,E, format. Thanks

GEM
GEM

Postby rwhatman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:52 pm

I know Glen is never wrong, but x,y,z = Easting, Northing , Z

I don't know your data collector, but you may have to import as x, y, z file so it flips it.
rwhatman

Nikon

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:34 am

The prompt does not come up when actually downloading the Nikon - it is when you are reading the collector file into MSCAD that it comes up.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Nikon downloading

Postby GEM » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:44 am

I appreciate your assistance in this matter, but I beg to differ with you regarding the chance to spec the x,y,z, format at or before importing the file into MSCAD. After clicking the read data file option, the following takes palce:
1. important toggle check dialog appears (no option to change x,y,z format).
2. enter Nikon Raw Data file dialog appears (enter file name)
3. create New Traverse File or use existing file option appears (click option)
4. enter traverse parameters dialog appears (no option to change x,y,z format).
5. data file starts to load but stop because point protection is on (at this point I can see that that the x,y,z format is wrong because the deltas between N & E are the same one of which is a negative.)

Thanks for reviewing this issue.
GEM
GEM

Nikon

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Which selection are you using to import the file? I was using the Nikon 400 format. Many Nikons, even the newer ones, actually use the 400 format for the files.

Maybe I should get a copy of this file from you to examine. Could you please email it to me at [email protected]?

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Nikon downloading

Postby GEM » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:50 am

I redownloaded the 2 raw date files and re-cordinated the trav/shots and the points imported correctly. I am not sure what I did differently but worked. Thanks for the assistance.

GEM
GEM

Return to MicroSurvey CAD