updating concerns

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

updating concerns

Postby Andy127 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:01 pm

I am considering purchasing mscad2002. My employer's COGO software
is so outdated, however, i'm not even sure I could open a file created in his COGO program. In the event we couldn't exchange files, would I be able to take coordinates established in his older COGO software and manually enter that data into the mscad2002 program to create a COGO file. Also, is it possible to still manually enter the field data for a COGO file into mscad2002 or would I have to purchase a data collector.
Andy127

Postby John Gallagher » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:56 pm

First,to answer your second query.Yes you can manually input survey data into MSCAD,but with the current cost of data collectors you need to inform your boss that compared to your time a new data collector will probably pay for itself in a few months.
As to your first question,what program are you running now?
Glen or Mark can probably tell wheter it can be imported into MSCAD,but as a work around if you have a scanner,then print the coordinates as an editable text file,open it in Wordpad or Notebook and save it as an ascii file then import it into MSCAD.
We started out on an old HP computer (one that booted from a floppy!)but were able to scan and import all the old print outs with a minimal amount of editing.

Hope this was of some help.
John Gallagher
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Old Programs

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:43 am

MSCAD can read some data from older programs and some from current programs. You can see a list of those programs we have direct support for by going under the MicroSurvey menu -> Other Program Ties.

We can always read in an ASCII file of coordinates, if you have this available. Or you can manually enter in coordinates one at a time, if required.

We can manually enter in traverse data - be it newly recorded or older archive data you have to enter in. Once it is in the job it is treated just like any other data from a collector and things like closures and balancing can be done to the data, if it has been collected and entered correctly.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Scanning a great last option.

Postby Scott Partridge » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:10 pm

I will agree with John. If MSCAD cannot read the ascii data format (unlikely), an application such as OmniPage Pro can be used to scan hardcopy coordinate listings into an editable text file. I have done this a number of times with hard copy coordinate files dating back 20 years.
Scott Partridge

Return to MicroSurvey CAD