Another Misc. Drafting

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Another Misc. Drafting

Postby B.Allen » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:32 am

Hi again!

I am having trouble with the azimuth orientation of my line labels. No matter how I draw the lines, or which end of the line I pick for labeling, the azimuths will not change. For example, in a closed polygon, half the azimuths must be added or subtracted from 180 for the direction of travel to remain the same. My "reference North" is unchecked in the bearings label default screen, and in "drawing units" clockwise is picked. I cannot seem to change the azimuth 0 direction, however, in the same drawing units screen. What am I doing wrong?

Also, when I try to view the training movies, I am asked for a plugin, and am unable to locate the necessary download. I have viewed them before, months back, but don't remember what I did "right" those times!

Thanks! Beth
B.Allen

Questions

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:58 am

By default, when you start a new job - and you pick Azimuths for your units on our General Configurations Dialog - we set everything to work correctly for labeling. You do not need to go into the units command and change or set anything (in fact if you do you may cause some problems).

When you pick on a Line - near the top right end (assuming it goes from top right to bottm left) it will label the line based upon the first quadrant, so it would be 45d (in that range). Pick the bottom left end and it will label it as 225d (in that range). As long as the toggle is off for the North Reference, then it should be correct.

Try it in a new drawing - don't mess with anything - draw a simple line and label it by picking one end then label it again by picking the other end, and see what happens.

Internet Explorer may require a plug in and ask you to install it - it should be able to do it automatically, as we do not do it. The line across the top of the screen is where it will probably ask you about the plug in - pick there and follow their instructions.

Cheers,
Last edited by Glen Cameron on Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby B.Allen » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:02 am

Hi again! I'm probably a complete moron, but I am still having trouble orienting my line labels the way I want them. From what you've told me, the line should be labeled according to the quadrant that you pick the end of the line in, correct? If this is so, it appears to be the opposite of the Autodesk land desktop?

I've drawn a million diamonds, playing around with the line lables, even used the new 2005 demo disk in case I messed up my 2004 somehow. I still can't seem to get the labels consistently oriented. I'll think I have it figured out, then it'll label the next line opposite of what it did the last time even though I picked the same end. It shouldn't be this hard, and I must be missing something obvious, but darned if I can find it. Help!

Thanks, Beth
B.Allen

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:49 pm

I don't know how LDD works with this type of routine so we may very well be different than they are.

If the line is drawn from North East to South West or visa versa - it does not matter. What does matter is the end of the line you pick closest to when labeling the Azimuth. So if I pick at the end nearest to the North East then I always get an azimuth in the first quadrant (such as 45 degrees). If I pick the same line at the other end (south west end) then the azimuth is always in the third quadrant (such as 225 degrees).

If the Labeling Defaults Toggle is on for Brearing to Refence North, then all Azimuths will be between 0 and 180 degrees, no matter which end of the line you select.

I can't seem to make mine do anything different than this.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD