Lock down a drawing?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Lock down a drawing?

Postby cbunker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:42 am

Is there some way to lock a drawing file once it has been reviewed and corrected so that no further changes can be made, either accidentally or deliberately, without first unlocking the drawing? We've had a couple of cases in the last few weeks where plans have been reviewed and corrected, but the version that went out to the client was missing some information (but it's present on the hardcopy check print)!

I've thought of different things we can do - create a layer configuration called PLOT that we always restore before plotting a drawing, which shows all the necessary layers. LOCK the layers after the final review, so that nothing can be changed.

Any other suggestions? I thought I'd ask just in case I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Bunker, BMath, O.L.S., C.L.S.
T. A. Bunker Surveying Ltd.
150 John St. N., P.O. Box 1180
Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1V4
cbunker

locking a drawing

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:38 am

There is no way to lock a drawing completely. I would lock all of the layers so that when someone tries to do some edits, the warning saying the layer is locked, would come up. This would be the CLUE that it may not be wise to continue without first checking with the boss.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

PDF

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:41 am

Another thought that may help - print the drawing to a PDF file, so that you can always go back to it to replot it in the future. The PDF file is basically a read only acrobat reader file, that can be saved and printed when ever required, and can't be changed.

There is a tech note on our web-site to discuss this topic further.
http://www.microsurvey.com/support/shar ... te-pdf.htm

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:46 am

There is another new option Password Protect.

Just saveas and pick the password option, but make sure you write that password in a save place.

To save a drawing with a password
Do one of the following:
Choose File > Save As.
Type saveas and then press Enter.
In the Save Drawing As dialog box, under Save As Type, choose AutoCAD 2004 (dwg).
Click Password Protect.
Choose a folder where you want to save the drawing.
In File Name, specify the name of the file you want to create.
Click Save.
In the Password dialog box, enter a password.
If desired, record and store the password in a safe place. If you forget the drawing’s password, the drawing cannot be opened or recovered.
Click OK.
rwhatman

Postby rwhatman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:10 am

Have another idea for you. PLOT all your drawings in LAYOUT mode.

If someone was to edit the drawing they would get LOCK LAYER if they try
to edit anything.

Many choices for you.

We don't run into your problem, because we are ussualy all done when we send the client the drawing.

If we need the drawing for another job we saveas to a new job number.
We never change the orginal drawing.
rwhatman

locking

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:23 am

Thank You Richard - I forgot this new CAD engine had the password protection option.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby cbunker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:15 am

Thanks for the quick replies. I forgot to mention that we're still using MSCAD 2002, not any of the newer versions.

Our usual process is: first draft is completed, reviewed in-house, changes are made and they are checked. At this point, the plan is at the stage where we're happy with it, and should be locked down. Copies are then sent off to the client, registry office, etc. for preliminary review by them and approvals. If everything is good, final plots are made and sent off. The plan is never changed again, but copied to a new drawing if additional work is required.

Printing the plans to PDF is OK, but there is still a possiblity of needing to make changes afterwards, and opens up the chance of accidental changes. We work strictly in ground space, and not in LAYOUT mode, so that's not an option. I also noticed that I can edit text on a locked layer without generating an error message, so I'm not sure how useful that would be.

Perhaps we need to change the way we work, and use the LAYOUT mode - I'll look into it some more.

Any other thoughts are welcome,
Chris
Chris Bunker, BMath, O.L.S., C.L.S.
T. A. Bunker Surveying Ltd.
150 John St. N., P.O. Box 1180
Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1V4
cbunker

Return to MicroSurvey CAD