Old copy to Clipboard command

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Old copy to Clipboard command

Postby Carole » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:04 am

In the earlier versions, one could select entities in one drawing and copy them to the clipboard, then open a new drawing and paste the contents of the clipboard there.
This doesn't seem to be working in 2005--it seems like you can select entities but they don't to the clipboard. Attempting to paste from 2005 to 2002 resulted in a "Clipboard is empty" message. Attempting it in 2005 resulted in empty space.
This was a handy utility. Has it been removed?
Thanks.
Carole

copy/paste

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:45 pm

Copy/Paste in 2005 works well but is different from 2004 and 2002. In the older versions you could paste the contents of the clipboard to any location in the new drawing - with 2005 it pastes the contents to the exact same cooridnates of the original. So you may need to zoom out to see them - then move them if required.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Carole » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:18 am

I tried it again today, copying and pasting into another version of the same drawing so it should have popped right in where I wanted it, but it didn't appear anywhere. So, something isn't right--could be my methodology. However, I used the instructions from the hints and tips page.
Today I was attempting to edit my AutoMap library to have some of my symbols appear on my plan. After I edited one symbol, a huge spreadsheet appeared in the middle of my drawing window. I can't get rid of it, though I did drag it down to a small square. Why did that happen and how can I get that image out of plan?
I am also having trouble with the edit properties command when editing text. I have been trying to globally rotate several text entities from 180 to 90 degrees. This was on the Details menu--Correct Text in the old version. Sometimes I can edit three, but mostly that option is greyed out if I have selected more than one and I have to edit each text entity separately. Why would this be?
I tried today to use the Graphic Text editor to scale some points from metres to feet. It wouldn't select the points by number and when I tried to exit the command, the program crashed. Twice.
In the older version, if you picked on a point, point number, elevation or description, the point edit dialogue box would come up and you could view and edit the point. Is there any way to enable that function in this version?
Also in the old version, the wheel would open your osnaps. Can that be enabled in this new version? Is there a way to set the tool bar so that if you pick an osnap, it doesn't stay turned on? Unless I turn them off before every command, I'm always snapping to endpoints etc. and I may not want to do that.
Thanks for your help.
Carole

Postby rwhatman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:09 am

Carole wrote:I tried it again today, copying and pasting into another version of the same drawing so it should have popped right in where I wanted it, but it didn't appear anywhere. So, something isn't right--could be my methodology. However, I used the instructions from the hints and tips page.
Today I was attempting to edit my AutoMap library to have some of my symbols appear on my plan. After I edited one symbol, a huge spreadsheet appeared in the middle of my drawing window. I can't get rid of it, though I did drag it down to a small square. Why did that happen and how can I get that image out of plan?
I am also having trouble with the edit properties command when editing text. I have been trying to globally rotate several text entities from 180 to 90 degrees. This was on the Details menu--Correct Text in the old version. Sometimes I can edit three, but mostly that option is greyed out if I have selected more than one and I have to edit each text entity separately. Why would this be?
I tried today to use the Graphic Text editor to scale some points from metres to feet. It wouldn't select the points by number and when I tried to exit the command, the program crashed. Twice.
In the older version, if you picked on a point, point number, elevation or description, the point edit dialogue box would come up and you could view and edit the point. Is there any way to enable that function in this version?
Also in the old version, the wheel would open your osnaps. Can that be enabled in this new version? Is there a way to set the tool bar so that if you pick an osnap, it doesn't stay turned on? Unless I turn them off before every command, I'm always snapping to endpoints etc. and I may not want to do that.
Thanks for your help.

You have lots questions and I don't have much time help, but lets look at some of them.

You say you are cut and pasting from older version of drawing.
Are both drawings started from MSCAD 2005.

That huge spreed sheet was Activebase can be closed like any window.

Editing one point. Check General Settings - Use Single Point Editor is tick on.

There is a tool for all Snaps. Turn one or more on at a time.

Now the crashing part this may have nothing to do with the Graphic editor.
If this is the same drawing that you tried to copy and past from a older version.

Here is the most important part ALL Drawings from older Versions of MSCad must be AutoCAD 12 .

I may not answered all your questions. I have run out time.
rwhatman

Postby Carole » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:21 am

I was cutting and pasting into a brand new drawing, so the version should be okay. All of these issues are happening in the same drawing (as well as in all the others). I ended up writing a block.
I do have "Use single point editor" toggled on. When I pick on a point number I get the Change Prop command when I want the store/edit points dialogue box.
There was nowhere on that spreadsheet to close it--no "x" in the corner and right-clicking just brought up a "cut, copy, etc" option so I cut it. I hope I didn't damage my AutoMap library.
I know you can turn the osnaps off and on a couple of ways. I would like to know if you can configure the wheel to open an osnap window, like you could in the previous versions.

I hope you have some time to help me with this soon.
Thanks.
Carole

CAD copy feature

Postby T.M. Moretz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:34 pm

If I want to copy something from one drawing to another I use the CAD copy feature. I will have both (or more) drawings open and tiled vertically or horizontally. Select the items needed from one drawing and then move the crosshairs over to the second drawing and left click. The selected items are now connected to the crosshairs in the second drawing and may be placed anywhere you need. The items will need to be rescaled if the drawings are not scaled the same. This works with the move function and can also be undone with the CAD undo function. After you right ckick in the second drawing you will see a "rubber band" line leading from the crosshairs, this will lead you to the coordinates from which you selected the items in the first drawing.
As far as the ESNAPS question, this was addressed in an earlier post entitled MSCAD 2005 about two weeks ago. I hope this helps.
Ted
T.M. Moretz

Postby Carole » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:44 am

Ah hah! I found out the secret! You have to keep the drawing you are pasting from open! It works fine that way.
Carole

Return to MicroSurvey CAD