Connect points using SDR Coding

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Carole

Connect points using SDR Coding

Post by Carole » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:27 pm

We use SDR coding for our topo surveys. In the previous version of MSCAD, when the "connect points using SDR coding" was run, 3d polylines were created. Then one could use the Polyline utilities-Make 2D Poly to move all those 3D polylines to 0. I just tried the command on a 1800 point job and the program created lines, which can't be immediately converted to elevation 0. I really don't want to go through a big job like this one and manually convert all the lines to plines. Is there another way, or some variable to be clicked? I looked at the online help, and it says that 3D polylines will be created?
Help!!!!

Carole

Post by Carole » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:19 am

Should I assume, from the lack of response from the MicroSurvey staff, that there is no solution to this problem?

rwhatman

Post by rwhatman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:38 am

E-mail brian.sloman@microsurvey.com

Brian might be able to help you. He is there next best TECH man.

Glen is on Holidays and do time Zone diffences the others may not be out of bed yet. :lol:

Glen Cameron

SDRmap Coding

Post by Glen Cameron » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:11 pm

I am sorry for the delay in responding but as Richard mentioned, I was on vacation for 2 weeks and that does leave us a bit short handed in the tech department. Phone calls and emails are always handled first and this user forum is available for your fellow users to help you as well as our staff. If the phones and emails overwhealm us then we can not get to the user forum as often or as quick - but we do try our best!

I have tried this in both MSCAD2002 and 2005 and it seems to work the same in both. The only segments that are drawn as polylines are the curves and they are 2D curves. All other linework is lines not polylines. (Unless I am missing something).

You can convert any lines or polylines from 3D to 2D by running the command SCALEZ and give it a scale factor of zero (0) when asked. Be sure to select the linework only, and not the points or text (freeze thos layers if you can first).

I do not see where it says that 3D polylines will be created - can you direct me to where you are reading this, and which version you of MSCAD you are referring to?

Below is from the help file in MSCAD2005:

"The SMAP command will draw linework by connecting points in accordance with a system of control coding which you include with your point descriptions. By recording field data using these control codes with your descriptions, you can have most of your linework drawn with the execution of a single command in MicroSurvey

The following SDR control codes are available. More will be added in the future as per customer demand.

BOX3 - draws a box using 3 points. The first two points (in numerical order) define a side of the box. The third point defines the perpendicular width of the box. A description code is not required. Box3 is drawn in 3D and uses the AutoMAP layer and linetype settings.

CIR2 - draws a circle between 2 points, assuming the 2 points define the diameter of the circle. A description code is not required. The circle is drawn at a 3D point that is computed from the average of the elevation of the two points.

CAN2 - fits the part named "CAN2" between 2 points to represent a tree canopy, assuming the 2 points define the approximate diameter of the canopy. A description code is not required. The block is drawn at a 3D point that is computed from the average of the elevation of the two points.

ST or START - Start of a new joined line sequence. All points following, having the same description code will be connected with straight lines.

CLOSE or CLS - draws a line closing a line sequence from the current point back to the first point in the series of points having the same description code.

STCV - Start of a non-tangential curve or curve sequence. This will draw a curved polyline through all following points having the same description until reaching an EC control code. Note: curve sequences are drawn as 2D polylines so you can apply smoothing to the curve.

EC - End of curve, non-tangential to the immediately following line.

PC - Start of a tangential curve. This will draw a curve or curve sequence, beginning tangential to the immediately preceding straight line. The program will look for the nearest (by point number) preceding point having the same description code and use this to define the preceding tangent. If the PC is immediately followed by a PT code, the solution will consist of an arc and a tangent. If the PC is not immediately followed by a PT code, the solution will consist of a curved polyline.

PT - End of curve, tangential to the immediately following straight line. The program will look for the nearest (by point number) following point having the same description code and use this to define the following tangent.

JP - This option will draw a straight line to the immediately preceding point, regardless of description.

JN - This option will draw a straight line to the immediately following point, regardless of description.

Notes:
SDR linework will honor AutoMAP settings for Layer and Linetype. Lines will be drawn in 3D and polylines will be drawn in 2D. The purpose for this is to allow polylines to be curve or spline fit. At this point, only 2D polylines may be curve or spline fit. This may be expanded upon in future releases to provide additional control over 2D and 3D.

SDR codes may be stacked on one point only the immediately preceding description will be affected by the control code.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

Carole

Post by Carole » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:39 am

I misunderstood the online help. Clearly it doesn't promise to create polylines. However, it seems to me that in the version of Microsurvey I had been using, plines were created. In any case, I will use the scale z command and my problem should be solved.
I guess it wasn't too considerate of the sales people to sell so many upgrades just before your vacation. What a drag to come back to a flood of emails and posts to deal with.
Thanks for your help.