Proposed grades

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Proposed grades

Postby agrkovic » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:25 am

Hi all,

I would appreciate your help on the following:

I received drawing with proposed objects (roads, buildings...) and I calculated N and E of all points that are defining ends of lines and arcs in the drawing and added them to the coordinate database using command “Auto Add Points to the Objects” (currently without proposed elevations). After some time, I received additional layer that contains proposed surface (contours). I extracted these break-lines and generated “proposed surface”, but now I need to update my database with proposed elevations - to assign proposed elevations to points that are already existing in the database. What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks,
Aleks
agrkovic

Postby rwhatman » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:04 pm

I would pick on the point and type in the propose grade.

There is a command to Drape lines to a Surface.
The lines become 3d polyline which you could explode to 3d lines
Then put a 3d point on that 3d line. Drape does not work on points.

If they have given you the elevation of the points just type them for each point.
rwhatman

Postby agrkovic » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:21 am

Thanks for the answer.

I also think that drape command is, more or less, my only choice. Problem with this option is, as I already exploded these lines and arcs from 2D plines into 2D lines and added points to my database (I didn’t have proposed contours at the time), I would need to disregard all these points and to repeat whole process but this time in 3D.

I can also download proposed surface, generated from proposed contours, and track Z for every point separately and then type it for each point, but this can be tricky for few thousands points (not to mention confidentiality regarding accuracy/precision).

If somebody can figure out how to shift targeted selection of points, which have 2D positions already determined, from “zero” surface to proposed surface, to assign these elevations to points and to add them into my database, please post your comments/thoughts.

Thanks again,
Aleks
agrkovic

Drape

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:22 am

The DRAPE command will work with CAD Points as well as Survey Points - but the difference is that the CAD Points would need to be added to the database (Auto Add Points - after being draped, if required in the database) where as the Survey Points will update on the drawing only as the database is NOT updated automatically. To solve this you would then have to run the command "Update Database from Drawing" to get the draped points updated in the database.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby agrkovic » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:21 am

Glen, thank you so much.

I've tried drape command with points - and it's working.

Rgds,
Aleks
agrkovic

Postby rwhatman » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:48 am

I am glad Glen corrected me. I forgot the update database from drawing part.

Even though you can do it now, I would be very careful to check it.

The TIN or Surface may not be the same as the original drawing, which
can give you deferent values.

Even though I can make a surface, I make the engineer tell me the values they want that they designed.

Just note of Caution.

Glen get back to your Holidays.
rwhatman

Postby agrkovic » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:27 pm

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately, this is the only way I can deal with my problem. However, I will try to be extra careful.

Rgds,
Aleks
agrkovic

Return to MicroSurvey CAD