Area and line scaling

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Area and line scaling

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:22 am

Is it possible for MSCAD to output scaled line, curve info just by clicking on lines that are not in the database? Ditto with area commands? I have an AutoCAD design of a racecourse that is in millimetres. The distances are huge as are the areas and is a pain to work on. I tried rescaling the whole job using the SCALE command but the result was weird to say the least. Some things scaled OK, others didn’t scale at all, and curves or polylines became series of large straights. Any suggestions greatfully received.
Richard Sands

Postby rwhatman » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:51 am

Your on the right track.

I would exploid all polylines before rescaling.

I have seen a lot of curves that where polylines.
Change them to arc's first.

If you lucky you will get arc's if not you will get a thousand straight lines
that you will have to redraw as a arc

Hope this helps
rwhatman

scaled lines, etc.

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:19 am

Hi Richard,

The CADLines and CADCurves dialog will show you the current length of the line and if you have an Output Scales Factor set and the Toggles turned on, they will show you the scaled distances. This is for lines connected tot eh database and lines not connected to the database.

Polylines of course can not be done this way and would need to be exploded first. Then each segment could be listed using the CADLines or CADCurves, as appropriate.

The Area command will also use the Output Scale Factor, if Toggled on, but it takes each side of the area and multiplies it by the factor then calcs the area. This may not always give what you expect.

When scaling a job, you have many things that can react weird. DIMensions, Xref drawings, hatch patterns, etc. To solve many of these you can explode the items or update the variables involved (for DIM's).

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:55 am

Thanks. It helps when I actully turn on the output scale factor!! rather than just enter it.
As to the areas - the AREA command doesnt use it when picking objects. FASTAREA does, but I have ojects that give me an area using the AREA command (albeit without scale factor) but when exploded and I use FASTAREA says the objects don't close. This is a bit confusing to me.
Richard Sands

FASTAREA

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:34 pm

The Fastarea command was originally created to calulate and area of a figure where the lines actually crossed, not just met. Picture the middle of a tic-tac-toe board as an example.

Some lines and arcs do not actually meet at the corners of property. Some symbols will cause a problem. Polylines will occasionally cause a problem.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD