Wish List

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Wish List

Postby surveyor_06 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 am

In the next release of MSCAD2005 I am asking for the following feature to be added.

Our firm uses unique point number layers including the MSPOINT for various features. This helps to allow for better visibility when you need to turn on certain features only.

Accordingly in the Labelling Defaults dialogue box can a drop down box be added to allow the user to scroll and select the layer to be used for the placing of point numbers. Currently we have to type the name of the layer that we use for each set of layers.

The default layer name is POINTNUMBER and the default point layer is MSPOINT. In our firm for housing construction we use several paired layers, and it would be much more convenient to be able to select from a list and not have to type it. It would be an additional value if the point layer name is linked to the layer name and you only have to select from the layer name list.

Currently as indicated earlier you have to type the layer name and point layer in the dialogue box. If you mis-type the layer name a new is created and this ultimately adds to overhead of the drawing.

Thanks
surveyor_06

Postby rwhatman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:11 am

Have you tried AUTOMAP

I use AutoMap to Put Points, Descriptions, Elevations in different Layers.

They are sorted by Description.

I dont type any layer name for any Points.

As soon as I download the points or type in a description All the points
go to the right layer.
rwhatman

AutoMAP

Postby surveyor_06 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:38 am

Hi,

This scenario that we do is not for points that are collected by data collector or other collection processes.

What we are doing is placing a house on a lot and creating point numbers for the footing outline using the Auto Add Points to Object. This allows us to create points for each corner of the footing. We also create separate point layer pairs for the offset points and for the lot fabric.

The as-built survey has the field collected point number going to a specific layer pair via AutoMAP.

Being setup this we can turn on the as-built points (created using AutoMAP) and the lot fabric pair (created as above) when checking the final survey.

We can also turn on only the footing, offset and lot fabric pairs when plotting the field notes. This structure allows us to produce un-cluttered drawings or field notes for the field staff to use.
surveyor_06

Postby Kevin B. » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:58 am

I would love to be able to view what layer the points are in with the Active Coordinate Editor. I use Automap even with the auto add points to onbjects as all points with no decs go into a certain layer along with the point number.
Kevin
Kevin B.

More Wish List Items

Postby surveyor_06 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Is there a setting in configurations somewhere that allows you to set a root directory that MSCAD2005 will always start with when it opens a dialogue box for file browsing.

Ideally MSCAD2005 would open in the same directory as the drawing is stored.

Alternatively it could be like MicroSoft Word where you can specify a starting directory where it always opens. For us that would be at the level where we break jobs into different years.

When we do co-ordinate file imports the system always opens at the directory on the PC's hard-drive and you have to browse farther to get to where you want to go.

If this functionality is there and someone can identify it for me that would be great.

If not please add it to the wish list.

Thanks
surveyor_06

Postby rwhatman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:50 pm

MSCAD2005 starts at the Last job you worked on.

If you want to start at a folder. You would only have to pick it before you exit for the day.

I don't know of any setting.

I was thinking about your Auto lablel points. I go to the Labeling defaults and add a number to the Layer. Pointnumber1, Pointnumber2 and so on.

I use different colors for each layer number so I know what layer is on.

I think the program can do all that you want. It just takes a little planning.

I would like to see Points numbers map to the Dynamic view by layer, but I was told it would slow down the program.

The program rocks for me, but I sure you have soom great ideas to make a better program.
rwhatman

AutoADD Point Descriptions.

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:52 pm

AutoADD Points To Objects can automatically assign descriptions to points as they are created. This could also be setup in AutoMAP to then automatically place the point, point number, etc. on specific layers, as desired.

To use this you need to do 2 things, 1) set the default description in the Labeling defaults, under descriptions, to the desired description to be assigned to points 2) turn the toggle on (MsTools menu -> MicroSurvey System Toggles -> General Settings -> Use Default Description) to use this default. you could also change the default description at any time to use a description of your choice. If these descriptions are setup in AutoMAP then they are automatically placed on the layering structure that you have setup.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Auto Add Points not so Automatic

Postby DAVELAND » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:31 am

When will Microsurvey finally catch up to the rest of the 21st century and make it possible to auto add points to a polyline. Otherwise what is the point (pun intended) if you have to explode the line into its individual segments and then select them to add points????
DAVELAND

Return to MicroSurvey CAD