FILE FORMAT

Discussion of MicroSurvey inCAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

FILE FORMAT

Postby SKURVEYER » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:14 am

I was wondering what file format would be best to import into cad in order to be able to manipulate point description/code. We are using Trimble GPS to collect our data, and from the dc file we have to import a csv file to get it into autocad, and obviously the file ends up as a dwg. I had a file e-mailed to me in dwg format and all of my points are not recognized as points but rather as block references. In othere words I cant extract anything except xyz position, and thats only in the regular properties box used when seltecting and right clicking on the point (which is not recognized as a point).

Alright I'll get to the point..LOL..I just want to be able to bring up the points that I have shot in my active points window, so that I can manipulate the code and therfore start to automate my linework.

I would also like to say thanks to everyone (GLEN) that answers my ?'s. I am just begining to explore inCAD and not exactly savvy with it yet, so thanks for baring w/ my ?'s...
SKURVEYER

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:57 am

Bringing in a simple DWG file from, pretty much any souce, is simply a pretty CAD picture with no survey inteligence.

There are some exceptions. If the DWG file contains Point Blocks in one of the Softdesk, Eagle Point or Carlson point block formats, we can scan the DWG and find these point blocks, and build our database using the same data those blocks contain. The command to do this is found under the MsPoints menu -> Other Program Ties. Then choose the point block format that your DWG contains, and fill out the options for us to read in.

If your DWG does not contain this type of information, and you can get a simple ASCII file in a format of P,N,E,Z,D or something similar, then we can open the ASCII file either in the same drawing or a new drawing, to have us create the survey points both in the DWG and the database. Go to the MsPoints menu -> Import ASCII Points or Lat Long file, and then match the dialog settings to the file type and format of the ASCII file.

Once the Points are in our database, you can view, list and manipulate the points in the Active Coordinate Editor in the MsPoints menu.

I hope this helps - glad to assist when I can.
Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey inCAD