templates - side slope design

Discussion of MicroSurvey inCAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

templates - side slope design

Postby Teresa » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:03 am

When creating templates in the road design part of InCAD (and I suspect, MSCAD), it appears that one can only put in side slopes of one significant figure...and so if one wants side slopes of, say, 3/4 : 1, currently the cross sections produced show (incorrectly) side slopes of 0.8 (rather than 0.75) to 1.

So as a result, my theoretical daylight lines are incorrect and it is very hard to check that my (so far for me) black box transfer of LandXML into Field Genius is ok. FG at least, allows one to enter their correct side slope information. Well, I guess that I can check using my rounded off slope information - but it sure would be nice to have my calced daylight lines in InCAD to be correct.

Is there a get-around here?

Teresa
Teresa

x-sec decimals on the templates

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:14 am

I opened up a new template and entered in side slopes of 2.75 and 2.385 and then saved the template and exited. I then reloaded the same template and saw the rounding off of the values to 2.8 and 2.4, as you described. So I then went and checked the actual TMP file and found what is below:

1 5.00 -0.10
2 1.00 0.00
3 1.00 1.00
4 3.00 0.00
-1 4.00 -0.20
-2 1.00 0.00
-3 1.00 1.00
-4 3.00 1.00

The first two numbers are saved as I entered them, not rounded at all. So this tells me that the template should work as expected to all the decimals you have entered and is only being displayed in the template editor dialog as a rounded figure.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Teresa » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:13 am

Thanks Glen,

ok, as per our conversation a few minutes ago - the cross-sections do indeed use all the sig figs entered, even though the reloaded template file rounds off the slope information. So things are not so bad...

Here is a wish-item: that displays of stored template data show all the sig figs that were originally entered and saved.

Teresa
Teresa

Postby Teresa » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:37 pm

By the way... if one should decide to change something else in the template information, one has got to re-enter all of the sig figs for the side slopes again - otherwise they are rounded off to as they appear when you save.

Teresa
Teresa

Return to MicroSurvey inCAD