GPS for PDA

A general sounding board for non-product specific surveying issues

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

GPS for PDA

Postby rjreese1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:29 pm

I am looking for suggestions for a GPS card (CFCard port) for use with Field Genius and an iPAQ PDA.
TIA.
rjreese1

Postby ianw2 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:26 pm

Hey, Robert!

I didn't see this post! Sorry!

Most GPS cards for PDAs are non-survey grade. FieldGenius wants survey grade data to work with. I'm not sure it CAN work with the data from a PDA style GPS card.

Perhaps Brian Sloman will pick up on this new post and come to our rescue!

Cheers, Robert.
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby Brian Sloman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:41 pm

While the CF GPS Cards are not very accurate (typically 1-3m/3-10ft if they are receiving a WAAS or DGPS correction) we can operate with these, as long as they can output their information in NMEA format. Because NMEA it is a standard format, as long as the device manufacturer follows the standard, then we can read its data.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

GPS for PDAs

Postby rjreese » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:37 pm

I solved the problem myself.
The Pharos i360 GPS is a CF slot GPS unit with an extension cable if you need it. It comes with navigation software and the ability to download many gigs of maps all across the US if you have the storage. I have a 1 gig SD card in my PDA and the west coast maps from oregon to mexico only consumed about 200meg.
Cost is about $170 US. For the price, this is a very good package.
The GPS unit that fits in the CF slot says it is WAAS enabled.
I have had success with MicroSurvey Field Genius 2006 recognizing the NMEA sentences from the Pharos unit. I am able to get a position that averaged 10 observations (1 sec epochs) with about 3 feet rms.
However, I am not sure about the WAAS correction, whether it is actually implemented, or if the NMEA code value isn't read correctly or what, but so far I am only able to get FG2006 to recognize the Pharos GPS unit as an autonomous position.
I have calls to Pharos to help resolve the issue.
rjreese

Return to Surveying Topics