Changing layer name

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Changing layer name

Postby Jerry » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:43 am

Hi,
We recieve different maps and xref in a lot of drawings which have huge names such as 5055wawona2$3$1curbs. I know I can change the names in layer manager, but was wondering if there was a file somewhere with this information I could edit in excel and then put back into the drawing? My reasoning for this would be to do a replace string command to get rid of the excess garbage in front of the actual name I want. We sometimes have up to 40-50 layers like this so would be much faster. This is a small issue, not real important or troublesome. Ohh, I am talking about when we bind these drawing to change the names not changing the xref (non bound) names.

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry

Layer Name Change

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:03 am

You are able to export the layer names but there is no way to simply import them again after any editing was done.

As you mentioned, you can edit each layer name one at a time.

We have also supplied a Mass Layer conversion tool, found under the MicroSurvey menu -> Layer Control -> Mass Layer Conversion -> Layer Table Editor.

I don't know if this would be any faster or not but it is another tool you may wish to investigate.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD