Opening AutoCAD File

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Opening AutoCAD File

Postby dlcls » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:45 am

An associate has sent an AutoCAD file for a topo I am taking over for him in both release 14 and 2000. When I preview the file, I can see the contours, but when I go on to open it, there are no contours, no point information, and a lot of the text is missing. He has checked it twice, and all of the information was sent, and from my end, I have checked to see that all of the layers are on, unfrozen, thawed. I am still easing into Microsurvey 2004, so I have tried in both v2002 and 2004 to open it with the same results. In 2004 I tried it with the box for preserving AutoCAD entities checked and unchecked--same results. I know there is something about a cfg file to set a "1" or "0" to recognize Autocad entities, but I don't know how to do this, or if it would help any more than checking the box to recognize entities.
dlcls

Proxy Entities

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:33 am

As I mentioned in my email back to you:

I opened the DWG in AutoCAD R2004 and found proxy entities in the drawing.

If I then list one of the contours it confirms it is a proxy entity. We can not see or use the proxy entities. They would have to be converted to polylines by your client so we can see them.

Command: list
Select objects: 1 found
Select objects:
ACAD_PROXY_ENTITY Layer: "2C"
Space: Model space
Handle = 51BF
DXF name: AECC_CONTOUR
Class name: AeccDbContour
Application name: AecCivilBase

When they run the command to create the contours, they should be able to choose an option to create polylines instead of the proxies.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD