A thought....

A general sounding board for non-product specific surveying issues

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

A thought....

Postby T.M. Moretz » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:57 am

:idea: Let me start by saying that I really like the new format for this message board, each product with it's own area; plus, I find myself coming here daily just to see who has joined and where they're from - it's kind of fun. (I really need to get out more) Anyway, a while back I had started, on the old board, a "Wish list" and I was informed that there was an area called "Suggestions" (?) that would be more appropriate for that, and so that's where I posted. Some of the suggestions were thought to be too radical for many of the long time users. That was a curious statement because the path of the "Suggestion" message is that it is sent to the Powers That Be at MicroSurvey only and not the general discussion area. I would like to see an open discussion suggestion area here where people who have a suggestion can express and discuss it with other end users without cluttering the primary discussion areas. Surely this has been thought of. Maybe it's feared that it would turn into a grievance area and since we all now know where each other lives there would be a fist fight or two. Anyway, that's my suggestion. I hope everyone has a happy holiday.
T.M. Moretz

Idea

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:41 am

Hi Ted – I think you have a good idea and if monitored correctly it can be controlled so it does not get to be a grievance area.

If ANYONE has any suggestions about how to improve the program in any way – please send them, right a way to [email protected]

Starting January 2/03, the development team will meet and look at all the suggestions and then make a short list to determining what is going to make the next version.

Merry Christmas,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Mark Budgen » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:58 am

:twisted: Thanks Glen,

I am now going to be inundated with e-mails! Just kidding. I will, of course, carefully consider each and every suggestion that I receive. I look forward to the comments and suggestions.
Mark Budgen

Suggestion: addition to point layout by station & offset

Postby ianw2 » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:29 am

One of the things I do with some frequency is layout of roads. All too often, I get an alignment from the engineers that is a mess. I have to use MicroSurvey to repair the problems and make it work.

However, many times, the sidelines are not concentric or paralle with the centerlines and I have to rely on the stations and offsets provided by the engineers. The S/O routine in MicroSurvey (Menu: MicroSurvey/Points, Lines and Curves/By Staion and Offset) is pretty slick. The only draw back is that the default is to stay at the same station and use multiple offsets. I would like to be able to set multiple stations at the same offset - exact opposite of the way MS2002 works, now!

Suggestion: add a toggle which allows the user to set priority. If the prompt came up somewhere before the select line prompt, I could switch from multiple offsets to muliple stations depending upon what i was doing. It would be a big time saver for me!

Thanks for listening...
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Return to Surveying Topics