[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - Wide format scanners....

Wide format scanners....

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Wide format scanners....

Postby Morg » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:32 am

We are looking at purchasing a large format scanner...if you've got any info you feel would help it would be appreciated.

Thanks...
No sig for me....
Morg

large format scanner

Postby Dennis » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:50 pm

I go to Kinko's once in a while to get a large document scanned and I think they use an Oce? They produce a tiff file on my cd and I have good results using the file in PCDraft. Haven't tried to use one in MicroSurvey yet. ddm
Dennis

Wide format scanner

Postby Ron Mak » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:54 am

We just bought a Contex Premier TX-36 from the drafting clinic. It is amazingly fast (scans 24 x 36 in - I'm guessing - about 30 seconds: 5 seconds to go through the machine, and about 25 seconds for it to appear on the screen) $10K, but we are scanning about 40,000 plans and moving everything onto "Land Survey Records". Make sure you check out software, because that is another "surprise" expense. We use software provided by LSR and it is very good.
Ron Mak

Postby Morg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:56 am

Thanks for the replies!!

Ron - We are looking to do something similar to that. Hmmm, "surprise" expenses are always great... :shock:
No sig for me....
Morg

Postby Morg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:50 am

Ron,

How is the scan quality? Is it OK to scan older plans or just strictly new ones??
No sig for me....
Morg

scan quality

Postby Ron Mak » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:15 am

We scan at 200 DPI and quality is very good. Scanning old linnens with a yellow-brown background only requires a few tries to get the setting right, but after that the quality is great - much better than a print!
Ron Mak

Postby Morg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:20 am

Any probs with fold lines/creases? Or can you edit them out??
No sig for me....
Morg

Fold lines

Postby Ron Mak » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:43 am

I have scanned a few with folds, but nothing shows up on the scan. I think that is more a function of the software though. The LSR software seems very sophisticated although it is so automated I don't really know everything it does before it displays the final image. I can see the possiblity of small errors in scale if a fold line is particularly bad.

One thing that came with the scanner is a clear mylar folder. Badly creased, wrinkled or old brittle plans can be placed in the folder which helps hold them flat. I had to use this for the old linnen which had been rolled up for 20 years.
Ron Mak

Postby Morg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:47 am

That's great...Thanks a ton Ron!!

Have a good one!!

Morgan
No sig for me....
Morg

Return to MicroSurvey CAD