Leica Robotic Questions

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Vincent Popish

Leica Robotic Questions

Post by Vincent Popish » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:36 pm

Hi:
Does anybody use FieldGenius with the new Leica tps 1100 robotic total station, the new one with Powersearch? What radio did you have to buy to communicate with the total station and how much did it cost you? How do you like the FieldGenius and leica combo? Any commnets would be greatly appreciated. I am presently using TDS software for Leica and have had many problems, very unhappy with the combo.
Thanks in advance for any commnets,
Vince Popish

Ed Gasbarre

Post by Ed Gasbarre » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:14 am

I don't use the 1100 but I do use the TPS703auto with FieldGenius and the operation is smooth.

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:31 am

We are trying FG with a Leica 1103 - we are happy with how it operates with the FG software. They are a good and functional combination. A few minor glitches in the software but those will apparently be fixed in next FG version.

For modem and radio, we are trying out an Allegro with built-in radio Rx and modem. This is a joy to use as you are not fiddling with cables and things attached to your data collector.

Teresa

Chris R

Leica Robotic 1105

Post by Chris R » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:20 pm

I'm trying the Fieldgenius demo with my new Leica Robotic 1105 plus with an Allegro data collector and internal radio. The Fieldgenius has some very nice features, but so far I have not been able to get the Fieldgenius to use the Powersearch feature on the Leica. Thats a real problem, because the Powersearch feature is what makes the Leica easy to use. Because of that difficiency the Leica has real trouble finding me. Also, this evening I was using the equipment in the house, just experimenting, and with the Fieldgenius the Leica distances were all exagerated. For instance, when the prism was 15 feet away, the fieldgenius was reading 81 feet. Yes, it was set to feet. I noticed that it did that on other times I tried it. I don't know what that's about.
Normally I use the Carlson SurvCE program, which came with the package. With Carlson, the 15 foot distance was correct, not 81 feet. Also when the fieldgenius failed to find the prism, I started up Carlson and the Leica found me instantly. I wish these problems could be resolved because the Fieldgenius has some really nice features.
Chris R., LLS, New Hampshire, USA

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:57 am

Hi Chris,

FieldGenius always uses the power search by default, so if it isn't using it something is wrong. On the robotic toolbar make sure you press the tracking button, which will initiate a search.

As for the distances being out, I don't know why it would be. Give tech. support a call if you want to try it again.

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:58 pm

Hi Chris,

Have not had the problems you are describing. If the data collector is communicating with the instrument, it usually is just a matter of pressing the little binoculars symbol to initiate a powersearch.

The distance thing - I guess that you have several places to set units: on the instrument and on the data collector. Could you have some really wonky prism constant put in the software? I know that the screen cues for millimetres, but actually one must put the constant in in metres. Also, the backsight prism constant option doesn't work yet, you need to have the other one set correctly all the time. If it helps, we have not had any distance problems like you describe - but have ended up fiddle-diddling around with the prism constants and units.

Teresa

Chris

Leica Robotic

Post by Chris » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:21 am

Hello Theresa,
Now there's a hint that may solve the distance problem. Actually, that's in line with a hint from Joe at Microsurvey who said in an email last night that perhaps the prism constant was set incorrectly. I had it set for 23.1 as required down in these NH woods. If that means 23.1 meters in BC Talk that is the problem. I'll convert to meters and give it a try. Thanks Theresa.
Chris

Chris Rollins

Fixed the distance problem

Post by Chris Rollins » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:12 pm

Theresa,
Thanks for your help. I changed my prism offset from 23.1 to .0231 and now my distances are correct.
Onward.
Chris

barryhaupt

Any updates on Leica Robotic?

Post by barryhaupt » Fri May 21, 2004 7:07 pm

Hi. I have a Leica 1101 TCRA robotic and am considering using FG with a data collector. The information in the previous posts to this topic is very helpful. I was just wondering if there were any updates - especially with respect to suggested hardware and radio.

Also, I have the radio that came with the RCS1100 robotic control unit. Can this radio be used as part of a FG robotic set up or is a new radio absolutely required?

Thanks.

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Tue May 25, 2004 5:57 am

Hello,

You can use your radios that came with your 1100, the Allegro internal radio is just another option. As for updates, there will be a huge one coming very soon, most likely in June. It is called FieldGenius 2004 and has new instrument control updates, especially for robotic instruments.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com