FieldGenius won't store points

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

FieldGenius won't store points

Postby ergols1727 » Mon May 03, 2004 6:29 am

Crew tried to open a new file/job and the program wouldn't let them. They opened up an existing file and the program won't record any points (???!!) Errors that they're getting are error (-120) and error (90619) "writing to file". Any ideas? Still lots of memory in the data collector. This little issue has now rendered this data collector out of order. Hopefully a solution can be found soon.
ergols1727

FG

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon May 03, 2004 11:20 am

Have you tried to do a Soft Reset of the unit to see if this made any difference.

All of the hand held units will require a soft reset periodically to keep them running smoothly.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Reset

Postby ergols1727 » Mon May 03, 2004 12:02 pm

They've tried several soft resets, a hard reset and an extensive salty vocabulary. They tell me that over the last couple of weeks they've noticed an increasing frequency in errors being reported by the program, including trying to run parts of the program and it just shuts itself down. They told me this when I raced out to the jobsite with an old SDR33 and a co-ordinate listing. By the time I got there they'd already laid out 4 units "the old fashioned way". Construction sites tend to be very unforgiving about "equipment malfunctions".

Don't these error numbers that I mentioned point to anything specific? Isn't there something happening here that you've seen before? Does the program run any kind of error tracking report file? Is there any kind of diagnostic that we could run through?
ergols1727

FG

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon May 03, 2004 7:18 pm

Which hand held unit are we dealing with in this particular case? Is it the Ranger or Recon or ...?

If it is the Recon, please be sure to have the FG program installed to the "Built-in Storage" and not to the Flash Card, as we have seen some issues with the Recon and the way it works with the flash cards.

Maybe reseating the flash card may help. It may also be a faulty card (bad memory card) or something with the unit directly. It sounds like it may be a hardware issue of some sort, and we have to check all the units to see what the codes mean (if you can confirm the unit you are using then this may help speed things up a bit). We will check to see what the error codes, you have mentioned, are telling us and will report back when we have this information available.

Keep in mind that if you do a hard reset of the unit then you will have to reinstall the FG program.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Program error resolved

Postby ergols1727 » Tue May 04, 2004 6:59 am

I had a look at their data collector this morning and when I tried to shut down the Field Genius program I got an error message referring to memory again. I used windows explorer to see how much memory I had. The data collector itself has gobs of memory, but the removable disk was jammed full. The Field Genius program and ALL of our files were in this disk. This explained to me why they were seeing an increasing number of problems over the last couple of weeks. The program was working with increasingly less memory as time went on. I've now moved all of our working files off of the disk. We'll change our procedure of job storage from now on. This problem wasn't seriously considered initially since we've used another data collector program with this type of storage practice for over a year and never come close to using up the memory. Field Genius, we now appreciate more clearly, creates a lot more files and therefore eats up a lot more memory. Just another blip on the learning curve.
ergols1727

error -120

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue May 04, 2004 9:47 am

Glad to see you figured it out.
As confirmation, the error -120, indicates the disk or storage area is full.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to FieldGenius