Copy a 3d Polyline

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Glen A. Quarmby

Copy a 3d Polyline

Post by Glen A. Quarmby » Mon May 24, 2004 8:16 pm

I have a 3d polyline (and points) along the centreline of a road. Is there an easy way to parallel this line to create the edges of the road in 3d so that I can model it? TIA

Glen Cameron

3D Offset

Post by Glen Cameron » Tue May 25, 2004 5:45 am

Unfortunately there is no 3D Offset option in the program. If you simply copy the polyline over, it will not be correct. We can offset 2D polylines, explode the pline, then assign point numbers to the linework - then you can manually edit the points to supply the elevations and finally connect the points with a new 3D Polyline.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

Richard Sands

3D Polyline

Post by Richard Sands » Wed May 26, 2004 2:12 pm

Could you draw a 2D line at right angles to the Reference line at the length (offset) you need and copy the 3D polyline using CAD and xyz filters. Use the ends of the line for the snaps in X/ Y and type in the Z diiference. eg (X1,Y1,0.00 to X2,Y2,-0.30) This will create an exact replica of your centreline at the required offset and lowered/ raised by the required vertical difference or crossfall. The 2D line doesnt have to be 'attached' to anything, so long as it is the correct direction and length then the snaps will take care of the placement of the offsets.
Hope this helps.
regards
Richard

Glen A. Quarmby

Post by Glen A. Quarmby » Wed May 26, 2004 4:37 pm

I'll give that a try. Thanks.