auto save mscad2004

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Vincent Popish

auto save mscad2004

Post by Vincent Popish » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:20 am

Hi:
I have some quetions and concerns regarding the new way sp6 autosaves. It seems to me that it no longer makes a SAV file, but merely just does a save command. The reason this is a concern is that if the program crashes and corrupts the file, which has already happened, then you have no current saved file that is seperate like the old sav file. So there is no seperate saved file to go and retrieve the drawing from. For some reason when we tried to open the bak file( by renaming it to a flx file) it said that it was not the correct version. So my questions are: Is the program, when it does an autosave, supposed to update the bak file, or just the flx file? And can we make it update both the flx and the bak at the same time? And why would it say that the bak was an incorrect version?
Thanks,
Vince Popish

Vincent Popish

autosave

Post by Vincent Popish » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:40 am

Hi:
Just a note: I have tried a number of times to duplicate the invalid file version from the bak file after renaming it and have been unable. It seems to work just fine, I have no idea how one of my employees managed to get the file that doesn't open, I can't recover it, or open it in any way. I would bet he did something wrong, like renameing the msd file or who knows? At any rate I don't believe there is a problem with corrupted bak files.

However my concerns about the autosave are still there, it does not update the bak file when it does the autosave, so if you lose the drawing, all the current work is lost since the last time you opened it. So the only real way to have a current backup is to open and close the drawing every few minutes. Not the best of arangements.

Thanks,
Vince Popish

rwhatman

Post by rwhatman » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:18 pm

Hi Vincent

I also tried to find your problem and found that it saved the *.bak just
fine.

If you where to push the Save button twice, on the second save the *.bak
file is updated.

The only way the *bak file might become corrupt if you crashed
the program during a save.

Glen Cameron

AutoSave

Post by Glen Cameron » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:37 pm

The AutoSave that we have set on our Toggles Dialog actually saves both the drawing and database at the same time.

The current FLX becomes the new BAK. The current MSD becomes the new MBK.

So every time you hit save manually, or our autosave kicks in, both the drawing and the database are saved and the backup files generated automatically.

This means a simple renaming of the backup files to the current file extensions, will allow you to access the previous save, if ever required.

The CAD Autosave routine did not save the database, it only made a copy of the drawing in memory to the SAV file. This process, seems to be related to more than one case of a crash and loss of data so that was the main reason we suggest turning it off.

With larger jobs, you have more time and money invested in them so I might encourage you to save manually as well as having our Autosave set to a resonable timeframe. Also, you can periodically save the job to a new name - example JOB1, save it to JOB1a and then JOB1b, etc. When you have completed the job - simply erase the older revisions. It simply gives you more insurance against both human error and computer hardware/software issues.

Cheers,
Glen