maybe someone knows now

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

maybe someone knows now

Postby rocnem » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:12 am

Two questions for anyone that can offer guidance.

1. Does anyone know of a clear set of instructions for getting XML into FG successfully? We would like to have groups of points in the CG Points to use as needed

2. Why does it take so looooong to shoot a distance with a Topcon GTS-313 hooked to a Allegro running FG?. Fine or Course modes seem to make no difference. The rodman keeps saying "anytime this week"

No. 1 is causing great frustration and dissatisfaction with this product among my office staff.

No. 2 is causing great frustration and dissatisfaction with this product among my field staff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rocnem

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:36 pm

Hello,

You need to install FieldGenius 2004. It has a fix for the Topcon that will allow you to switch between fine and coarse mode.

XG2.0 defaults to fine mode, eventhough you can select coarse mode, which is why it is taking so long for you to take a shot.

You can import XML data by going to the Import menu and use the Import XML command. Your CgPoints will appear in your drawing and can be used like a regular database point.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby rocnem » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:36 am

Thanks for the info Jason. What I am getting at on the XML files is that we have thousands of points on a job. The field crew does not need or want to see them all onscreen at a time, just usually the control and whatever they are staking out. The points are on separate layers in ACAD for the same reason. It is my understanding that you can use "groups" of "CGpoints" in much the same way, however when we import them using the XML import as you described, they come in as one large group, which is no improvement on just importing an ascii file of them. Do you have any suggestions?
rocnem

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:00 pm

Hello,

There is one advantage to using XML data for your points. The XML data can be considered to be a control file of sorts, meaning the coordinates are not copied to the project database. The data is simply available for you to use in a read only format.

Maybe we need an option to show or not to show the CgPoint data?
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby rocnem » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:55 am

Jason, is this to say we should create a separate xml file for each group of points, ie control, sanitary, storm, road centerline, lot corners etc.?

Also, I've been asked to find out why when we import a .dxf of linework, FG treats it as all one big object, like an ACAD block? In other words, you can't select individual lines or arcs, so its not real usefull other than as a "backdrop" image.
rocnem

Postby Jason Poitras » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:46 pm

Hello,

Creating separate XML files will help keep your data manageable.

The new version of FieldGenius has new DXF support and will give you the functionality that you're describing.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius