sp7

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

sp7

Postby Vincent Popish » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:52 am

Hi:
After completely uninstalling mscad2004 and reinstalling sp7, I can no longer use a number of my mscad files. When I go to open them I sometimes get:
1. An access violation and it won't open at all.
2. As soon as I do a command I get an acces violation an it shuts down, (the command I am trying to do is extend a line to a large circle).
3. Or I get a hook error and the selection box is stuck on and there are no crsshairs, and then it crashes, or just freezes up.
If I start a brand new drawing there does not seem to be the same problems. They appear to operate fine.

If I can get the program to operate long enough, I can save it as dwg and intellicad opens it just fine and everything seems to work. But if then try to open the dwg I still have the same problems. Not all files have these same problems but I do seem to have a large percentage of my files, some of them ongoing projects that I can no longer use, this is a great big problem. Now that I have switched to mscad2004 the old mscad2002 won't open them anymore either, wrong file version. Is there a utility that can convert files back to mscad2002 flx?

Just a side note: recover seems to be no help at all, get the same errors.

Hope this is a speedily fixable problem, there are whole projects that I can't get into.

I recognize that the problem seems to be with the cad engine, but I can't afford to loose these files.

Thanks
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

sp7

Postby Vincent Popish » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:26 am

Hi:
Just thought I would let you know, I downloaded the larger program file, with the videos, under the sp7 link in support and it turns out to be sp6...
So I completely uninstalled sp7 and mscad2004 and reinstalled sp6, then updated with sp6a and I can get into all of those files that crashed sp7 and the commands work fine, etc.

So the problem just seems to be with sp7, at least with my computer.

I played around with other files in sp7 and one of the consistant problems seemed to be with the mouse hook part of the program.

At least the panic of loosing access to my files is over, but I would give a word caution to any who might consider installing sp7, seems wise to wait until its fixed.

Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

SP#7

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:01 am

Service Patch #7 did go through a few bumps in the road this weekend due to a bad DLL file. This file has been corrected and an updated version of MSCAD2004 SP#7 was reposted.

As it stands this morning - all of the Service Patches have been replaced with updated copies, as have the full installs of MSCAD2004.

I have personally tested both of the SP#7 one click installs and they have updated me to SP#7. I have also installed the full version of 2004 again as a check. They have all installed correctly on my machine.

So far so good!

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Vincent Popish » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:00 am

Good morning:

I just installed the one click install sp7 from the west coast, and it still causes an access violation and crashes the program. This means I have to completly uninstall Mscad2004 again completely reinstall sp6 and configure it set up all my toolbars for the third time since friday.
On a more cheery note sp7 seems to work better on some files and conputers than mine.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

SP#7

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:10 am

I am going to suggest you uninstall MSCAD2004 - then rename the MSCAD2004 folder - then do a full install from the following link:
http://downloads.microsurvey.com/mscad/ ... /Setup.htm

This is SP#7 as a full install. I tested it here and it does work for me.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

sp7

Postby Vincent Popish » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:51 am

So far this morning we have started 3 machines, all three have crashed at least once some more than once. Sp7 has corrupted one file beyond recovery, it also ruined the backup during the save, so the whole project is wasted. Many of our drawings can't be opened. The colors of objects are being changed when you zoom, paperspace viewports arn't seeing the model space objects... It is my personal feeling that sp7 is real bad news.
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

sp7

Postby Vincent Popish » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:03 am

We are still having hook error problems and program freezes, we are going back to sp6 on all our machines.
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Postby ianw2 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:29 pm

I've just run into the same problems with SP7. After the comments this morning, I I re-installed SP& from the East Coast Site.

I've opened an older file on my system and cannot get any linetypes other than continuous to print.

The same file opend in Laura's system (without SP7) has no problems.

TheONLY difference is that my system has SP7 installed; Laura's does not. Opening the same file, even after saving on my system), linetypes other than continuous do not print of show up in print preview - they show on screen but do not print.

Let me know if you want files and where to send them.
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

sp7

Postby Vincent Popish » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:35 pm

I to would be happy to send files.
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Send any problem files to me

Postby Darcy Detlor » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:06 pm

Hello,

I will package them up and send to Germany today.

Over the past few days we have helped some of our customers by having them do a clean install of MicroSurvey CAD 2004. The passwords and CAD Key numbers are not stored in the C:\MSCAD2004 directory or any sub directories, so you can un-install and erase that directory without having to send in for a new password.

As Glen suggested above, if you are having problems opening drawings, or if you are getting hook errors, then we recommend un-installing and re-installing the program. Please make sure you erase or rename the C:\MSCAD2004 directory after un-installing, so there are no configuration files left behind.

The full download is available at http://downloads.microsurvey.com/mscad/fullsp7/Setup.htm
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

sp7

Postby Vincent Popish » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:15 am

Hi:
Can I use my old (sp6) microsurvey.key file? I have several toolbars can I use them? Print.cfg?
Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Postby Darcy Detlor » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:28 am

Hi Vince,

If you un-install MSCAD, then the MicroSurvey.key file will be removed, so you should back it up first. If you have created new .mnp toolbar files, then they will not be removed, but if you have modified existing .mnp files, then the un-installer will remove them. It is important that the program be installed into an empty directory so we do not have any artifacts left over from the previous version.

If you copy all the .mnp files you have modified, the .key files you have modified, and the print.cfg file to a safe place, you can use them again.

I would however, recommend that you run the program for a little while in its "stock" condition to see if the problems you were having are gone.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

sp7

Postby Vincent Popish » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:29 am

Hi:
The trick was renaming the old mscad2004 folder, I had uninstalled mscad2004 several times and reinstalled it over the last few days. However when I did rename the mscad2004 folder, after uninstalling sp6, sp7 does work. I can open the files and do the commands. The install program must not replace all the dll's if the mscad2004 folder is still there. So far so good.
Thanks for the timely support,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Postby Scott » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:01 pm

I concur with Vince. Renaming/deleteing the MSCAD2004 folder BEFORE doing the full re-install did the trick. All is right with the world again.
Scott

Return to MicroSurvey CAD