sp8 surface

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

sp8 surface

Postby Vincent Popish » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:49 am

Hi:
I have a very large tin I am trying to import from another program, it is a little more than a square mile with over 560,000 lines in the trianglation, about a 30 meg file. When I try to use the lines to create a surface, it just locks up sp8. In sp6 I created a surface just last week, same computer, every thing the same. The only difference is I lowered the tin by 5 feet and installed sp8. Now I had to erase over 2/3's of the tin to get it to ever make a surface. I was trying to get the whole square mile into a surface and then store it, but...
If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Just as a side note, my computor has xp pro, a 2600mh processor, 1 gig ram and a fast video card with a lot of ram, but it still can't handle it.

Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Speed

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:56 pm

As we discussed on the phone - the CAD Engine has probably maxed out it's memory usage before the extraction of the tin data. We have passed on all relavant information to the CAD developer on the topic of the memory maxing out. We hope to have a solution to this in the near future.

To drop your surface 5 feet - you can run the Surface Operations dialog (from under the MsModelling menu) when you load your original QSB file back in. You can tell it to take surface 1 and subtract a constant value to create a new surface called "." - then copy that to a named surface to save away.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

surface

Postby Vincent Popish » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:16 pm

Hi:
Darcy was right, if I turned off tooltips and markers under dynasnap(osnap settings), I was able to produce a surface in about 5 min instead of waiting hours, all the while wondering if it was working at all. Thanks for the tips, it worked much better.
Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Return to MicroSurvey CAD