ASCII Coord. File import, description problems

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

ASCII Coord. File import, description problems

Postby pasurvey » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:23 am

All my past work has point descriptions that include spaces. When I import an ASCII comma delimited point file into my IPAQ 2215, FG2004 V1.0.5 truncates the description at the first space it encounters. Is there a fix or will I have to change my past descritions? Both past desktop software and data collecters worked fine.
LP
pasurvey

ASCII in

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:01 am

I just tried this with the newest version of FG2004 (1.0.7) on my Tracker and what I see is this:

The first part of the description, up to the first space, is placed in the description field. The remainder of the description, after the first space and including any other spaces and text, are all placed into the NOTE field for each point.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:42 am

Thanks Glen,

"I see", said the blind man!

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:19 am

Hi Glenn,

Does this mean that the descriptions with spaces being placed in the "note" field will remain as is?

When I import the ASCII file from FieldGenius into a CAD drawing, the descriptions have colons ( : ) where the spaces previously were. If I export the points from CAD and import them back into FieldGenius, the descriptions are still truncated and the description after the colon is still in the note field.

Would it be a good idea to let the user have the option to import an ASCII point file that is based on comma, space or Tab delimited so the description does not "fragment"?

Thanks

John

Postby Jason Poitras » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:05 am

Hello,

The reason we do this with the export is so if a user has taken the time to add descriptions and notes to his points, the note information is exported in the ASCII export. A lot of surveying software packages don't have a note field for points so if the note wasn't appended it would be lost upon import. Our solution was to append the note to the description, seperated by a colon.

It sounds like you're running into a problem where multiple spaces in your description is causing problems. Could you email me a sample ASCII file that you import into FieldGenius so I can see what you're trying to work with.

I did some testing and I had some descriptions with multiple spaces, and when I imported the points, nothing was added to the note field. During import we're looking for a colon, everything before should stay put, everything after should be moved to the note field.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:11 pm

Hi Jason,

Actually I do not have multiple spaces in my descriptions.

If I import an ASCII file that has a point description such as "CL ROAD" or "SAN MH" or "CL CREEK" or anything else that has any kind of space in the description, FG2004 truncates the description after the space and places the remainder in the "note" field.

Thanks

John

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:47 am

Hi John,

Could you send me one of your ASCII files so I can test with it. I'm not seeing any problem when I have a space in my description.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:32 pm

Hi Jason,

I sent an ASCII file to you on 9-01-04.

Thanks

John

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:47 pm

I just tried this with the newest version of FG2004 (1.0.7) on my Tracker and what I see is this:

The first part of the description, up to the first space, is placed in the description field. The remainder of the description, after the first space and including any other spaces and text, are all placed into the NOTE field for each point.

Cheers,
3427 Hwy. #17E., RR2,
Corbeil, Ontario, Canada, P0H 1K0
(705) 752-2911 or toll free (877) 752-2911
8:30am to 5:00pm, Mon. to Fri. - EST
(705) 752-2133 FAX

As you can see, Glen has recreated the truncation after a space problem on the Tracker.

Clarification

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:27 pm

A clarification on what I found.

1) If I have a project in MSCAD2004 SP#9 and I upload the job to FG2004 1.0.7 then all of the points with descriptions that have spaces, all have the same descriptions in FG as they had in MSCAD.

Point 1 with a description of GLEN TEST came in the same way in FG2004.

2) If I use the same job in MSCAD2004 SP#9 and do an ASCII out of the points. Then copy this to the tracker and read it into FG2004 1.0.7, the Point in FG only shows the description up to the first space - the remainder of the description is in the note.

Point 1 with a description of GLEN TEST had GLEN as the description in FG and TEST in the note field.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:19 pm

Ok

Then why not fix FieldGenius to where the point descriptions are not "fragmented" or truncated regardless of what CAD package is used for exporting points?

I use AutoCAD and Softdesk for CAD drafting and creating points to export and then import into FieldGenius.

If I have a point description that contains a space (CL STA 9+00) all I get into FG2004 is "CL" in the description field and the "STA 9+00" in the note field.

Guys...... it shouldn't work that way!!!

Please fix this?

John

Return to FieldGenius