[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - TOO MANY PATCHES

TOO MANY PATCHES

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

TOO MANY PATCHES

Postby hodedo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:52 pm

Let me say that MicroSurvey is the best Survey/Engineering software I have ever used! BUT you didn't need so many patches before you changed your programming for MicroSurvey 2004, (not to mention what you have done with the latest Field Genius program. Looks like you are trying to emulate Survey Pro). I have been using your program for years and I will stick with the 2002 release until I hear that 2004 is stable.
I hope that you haven’t lost your vision of producing a #1 program and are thinking of sales increases instead.
9 PATCHES IN A LESS THAN A YEAR IS RIDICULOUS!
hodedo

PATCHES

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:49 am

I suppose one could ask do we have patches or wait for a year and get MSCAD2005? I may be defending Microsurvey here but from talking to the blokes there, some of the problems are beyond there immediate control. I enjoy having a CAD based surveying suite of options, but if you're not the author of the CAD engine then there are limits that affect the programming.
If you read recently the subject of upgrades there have been some very small changes that many companies just wouldn't bother putting out an instant fix. I like three feeds a day, I'd hate to eat once every three months or so. Think I'll vote for the patches. I do agree it seems over the top - 9 service packs but there's more to it than what a cursory glance give up.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

The poll showed that people want the best.

Postby Darcy Detlor » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:06 am

Hello hodedo,

We release service packs regularily because they are important, and they are easy to install. If you have a high speed connection it normally takes less than 5 minutes to install a new SP. What is the big deal? They are unobtrusive; they don't change your menus, toolbars, or screen layout. They don't change the data file format. They fix issues that may take you more time to figure out than the 5 minutes they take to install.

If the installation was completely invisible would you care? What is it about the number of packages that is irritating? We have released service packs that have fixed a single labeling bug, because we don't know how many people it is effecting. We do know that for one customer it is important. Should we sit on it? Was it effecting you? Did it cause you time work around. We don't know.

I put up a poll recently asking whether we should release lots of service packs, and the result was that most people want every fix we can make. Do you not want fixes? I stated in the poll that the creation and posting of a service pack is almost completely automated with a few batch files. Since the creation at our end and the installation at your end is so easy, why not have every possible fix? Would you rather us release one a year with many fixes or have the best product we can currently supply?
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

9 patches

Postby Vincent Popish » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:28 am

Darcy:
If you have customized any of the toolbars, aliases, or menus they are affected by at least some of the patches. Also some of the patches were disasters, where files were lost /corrupted or had other serious issues. The most serious problem is acad compatability. In our office we have to convert flx to dwg format all the time and it is a rare occurence that the file comes across complete, lines are missing, paperspace views missing, text missing, blocks incomplete, I agree little things, easy to fix. But it is hard to catch them all, so you send a drawing off and it turns out things are missing on the final version that gets recorded, troublesome.

It is not that you fix bugs that is the problem, that is greatly appreciated by all. It is that there have been an inordinate number of problems with the new 2004 CAD engine, and there still are problems with it.
Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Return to MicroSurvey CAD