Changing distance units

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Changing distance units

Postby cbunker » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:34 am

We're using FG 2002, and the Distance Units in one of our jobs has somehow been changed from metric to imperial. The job has been uploaded/downloaded between FG and MSCAD a few times.

When I try to import the latest work from the FG, I receive a message that it is in imperial units, and that I can convert it to metric during the import. I tried this option, but the new linework didn't look quite right.

I thought the easiest solution would have been to switch units and download again, but the units are greyed out - is there any way to switch back to metric in FG, or am I stuck with having to import and scale to metric with MSCAD?

Chris
cbunker

FG units

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:58 am

After you download the job - look in a file called JOBNAME.INI where JOBNAME = the name of your job (found in the \MSCAD2002\Syncwizard\Downloads\JOBNAME folder).

In an example file I have here called CRAWFORD.INI my file looks like this (yours may have more or different information in the file):

[FILES]
ProjectType=FG
FCF=\Storage Card\MicroSurvey FieldGenius\FG Projects\survey.csv
CurrRaw=0
LandXML=
DXF=
FEATURELIST=
Units=FEET

[RAW_FILES_COPIED]
RAW_FILES=CRAWFORD0.raw,CRAWFORD1.raw,CRAWFORD2.raw,CRAWFORD3.raw

On the line that says Units=FEET change it to reads Units=METERS
Then you can import he job and not have it convert for you.

You can copy this file back to the collector and over-write the one there to correct this in the collector for more fieldwork to be collected.

This was a known bug that would come up in some old FGXG2 jobs and has been corrected in FG2004.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to FieldGenius