About drawing unit and scale.

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

About drawing unit and scale.

Postby Stephen_P » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:52 am

I'm a newer to microcd.I'm confused by the drawing unit and scale.
Cause the manual says the drawing scale is for lettering and symbols.
then what setting is for linework scale.what's relationship between line dimmension on screen and plot on paper? If I set unit to feet, does it mean the labelled distance for line is based on feet? So,how I convert
a drawing based on feet to that based on metre,including all lines and lables.
Additional problem,what the dist command mean? what's the absolute distance?
Stephen_P

Postby rwhatman » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:48 am

Your asking a lot but, I will try to make it easy for you.

Line work is always FULL SCALE . When you pick feet as example 100 feet long. That same line in metric is 0.3048 Smaller - 30.48 metres, both full scale.

Now you can't get a full scale drawing on paper. That is where scale facter comes in. Scale facter makes the text or symbols look larger or
smaller on the page. Lines are only scaled at the time you plot or print the drawing on paper.

When converting from feet to metres or back do you scale lines. The text
and symbles are also scaled at this time.

Your asked about absolute distance, will since all the lines or points are drawn to full scale. The distance of a line or between points are the distance on the ground.

When I start a drawing I have to know, is the drawing in feet or metres.
I then pick feet or metres for my drawing units.

I then upload the points. Draw a few lines in the bounder of my parcel.

I then check to see how large the drawing will look like when I plot. If too
large or small I change the scale factor and rescale the drawing.

When you rescale the drawing you will see that lines do not change they are still full scale. Its the point numbers and blocks that have got larger or smaller. The text you write on the screen, the dimensions, all look at
the scale factor you pick.

Its practise that will be the best teacher.

There may be some Microsurvey movies that may help you.
rwhatman

Thanks lot

Postby Stephen_P » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:49 am

I have downloaded the move and hope it can help.
I still don't know how to scale line from feet to meter while converting the exsisting label in of sync.For example, the lable "32.81' " will be transformed to "10 "m automatically.
Stephen_P

Postby rwhatman » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:34 pm

If your talking about deminsions converting. They do Automatically.

Lines, point numbers, descriptions and deminsions are in the database.

You change the length of a line and the deminsion is re-written.

Now you pick metric scale and scale the line by 0.3048 the length changes
and the units are re- written in metres.

Now lables don't change. If you lable say tree to 0.30 Dia it does not
convert lables to metres. Also say the description of the point was in
feet units, sorry they don't change as well.

When I had the program called INCAD12 I also had a third party
program that would change lables. This idea I sent to MicroSurvey
years ago. It has not made it to the TOP of a LIST that I have never seen and I think most of my ideas will be lost.

Sorry I get carried away when someone brings up a OLD idea.

Try scaling a line that you deminsion. You will see what I mean.

I am not sure what your stuck at. It sound to me you read the book
but, have not tried the program.

When I first learn a program I don't even read the instructions. These days the prompts should be good enough to tell what is need to know.

Hope some of this helps
rwhatman

Postby Stephen_P » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:13 pm

I tried scale command and it actually works.Thanks. But I don't think it's a good idea to select all the entities to be scaled by mouse. And I can't understand why lables,symbols and linework are controled in different ways.
Stephen_P

Drawing Scale, etc.

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:25 am

To try and keep it simple.

Lines are the same length in the program as you would measure in the field. If they were not then you have a major problem. So we never scale them or change them in size in the program (unless you are converting from one set of units to another, and then you may need to scale everything at that time).

The labels are drawn into the diagram based upon 2 things 1) the drawing scale that you set - which should be the same as what you wish to plot this diagram at when the job is finished 2) the labeling defaults, which set the leroy text height that the labels will use.

When you plot the drawing, you specify a plot scale - this should match the drawing scale, to keep things consistant. The entire drawing is scaled to plot to paper. The linework, symbols, lables, etc. are all reduced by the same ratio to plot to paper.

So to ensure the final product is correct on paper, the labels and symbols are placed in the drawing, large enough, so when you plot to paper, they are all at the correct height.

We calculate the required height based upon the drawing scale (so set it correctly when you first start the job), and the labeling defaults (so set them as you desire to get the text heights you wish).

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Stephen_P » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:06 pm

There are some circumstances for scaling between feet and metre.
Sometimes I get old plan based on feet.To check it,I input it into computer to make a new copy.I'd like to keep two versions for that plan,one is feet ,the other is metre.The first one is used as a backup of the old plan,the latter is used for actual surveying. Since this program can set up in either way, there should be a simple way for conversion.

I have tried to cogo distance by size followed by unit. For example, a feet unit drawing, I cogo >distance>10m,it will be changed to feet by time 3.28...;when I set input factor like 3.28, the distances will be changed to feet by time square of 3.28. Anyway, 1 meter can only be changed to 3.28feet.
Stephen_P

scale with a unit change

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:17 am

There is a section in the help file that allows you to Rescale a Drawing with a Unit Change.

I would suggest reading that to see if it helps with what you are asking.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD