orientation adjustment

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

orientation adjustment

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:26 am

does FG 2004 have the ablility to adjust two points to a certain bearing/AZ without having to calclate the rotation angle by hand. for example, if I have 10 points shot and I know 1 to 2 is really N90dE and it comes up N88dE when I shoot them....is there any way to just tell it to rotate all points using 1-2 to N90dE without having to calc the 2 degree diff.
Thanks
Chris

Rotating Points

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:45 am

When you are in the RTS routine in the Project Coordinate Database - in the Field labled as Rotation, you can enter in the desired rotation as 2 degrees, in your example - or you can input 3 point numbers, example: 2..5..3 and it will calculate this angle for you and display it in the field.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Point Rotation

Postby cadrum » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:46 am

Glen,

I too was hoping to see an improvement in this area. Other data collection programs will allow you to define an old bearing, angle or azimuth by various entry methods such as between point numbers or typing them out. Then in a separate field, define the new bearing, angle or azimuth without having to store a new point just to calc the difference. This is another big wish on my list.
cadrum

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:50 am

so there is no way on your program to say....make for example line 1-2 which is N45E rotate to S30dE without hand calcing the differnce between the known bearing and the bearing you want it to rotate to and entering it in the rotation screen???

Postby Grant » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:44 pm

I had to bump this thread to add my vote for this type of rotation. We do it so often, it just seems more natural to pick a line and tell FG what bearing you want it to set.

A 'temporary' bearing rotation function/toggle would be nice also, for working with adjacent plans with different reference bearings. (Did I see this in MSCad2004 somewhere?)
Grant

Postby Jason Poitras » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:45 pm

Currently the only options available for the rotation angle is to enter the angle, or use the following bearing recall functions:

Entering #..#-#..# will subtract the two directions and use this as the angle. Also you can type #..#..# which will subtract the two direction which originate from the same point. Example 1..2-3..4 will take the direction from 1 to 2 and subtract it from the direction from point 3 to 4. 1..2..3 will compute an angle @2, back sighting 1 turning clockwise to point 3.

This is on our wish list to implement in a future version.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius