Traverse Area

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Traverse Area

Postby mahun » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:33 am

While awaiting delivery of our Tracker data collectors, I've been familiarizing myself with the FieldGenius 2004 software using the demo installed on both a desktop computer and an iPAQ.

Mostly I've been doing COGO calculations. Using Traverse/Intersect I can compute coordinates around a traverse. Inversing point-to-point closing back onto the first point gives me the area of the traverse.

But I'm confused when the traverse boundary contains a curve.

(1) When I use the RAD inverse I can define the PC, center, and PT of the curve. But I can't see how to define the curve direction, right or left.

(2) I don't understand how to get the area of a traverse with curved boundaries. When I Inverse all the way around back to the first point (using combinations of Line & Rad Inverses) I get an incorrect area. I've tried starting at different points and going cw/ccw around the traverse. How does one compute the area?
mahun

Postby Jason Poitras » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:51 pm

Hello,

1) You have to inverse arcs in a clockwise direction.

2) You might find it faster to use the pencil tool to draw a line around your parcel. You will note on the pencil toolbar there are two buttons that will draw either the long arc, or the small arc. Once you've traversed around you can close the figure using the "Close Figure" button on the line toolbar. Once you've closed it, you can simply tap it and the perimeter distance and enclosed area will appear in the information toolbar. It takes some practice, but you will get it.

When I make our next batch of movies I will make one that demonstrates this.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius