Still like some functions in old version (XG2.0)

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Still like some functions in old version (XG2.0)

Postby Mr. Sad » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:48 am

I have tried FG2004 for 2 weeks (with TDS). But I have been using XG2.0 for over 1.5 years. Frankly, I prefer the old version even it 's not perfect. Why? Here are some:
(1) Operating FG2004 is less friendly than XG2.0. Most work need only 1 or 2 steps in XG2.0 but more steps in FG2004. e.g. , for topo work in Xg2.0, after highlighting the line code in the list, I can use up-down button to choose and then shoot (operating by one hand). So easy and efficient for multi-lines shooting at one time. But FG2004 doesn't support this. In FG2004, I have to click the list --> highlight the line --> click OK to return to map screen to check if I choose the right linework. :cry:
After I terminate a line and want to bring it back to the list, it DOESN't work.

Overall, this new version seems to please the office staff but NOT the real user -- field guys. (may some old fellows with eye-sight problem can benefit from the BIG button in new version)
:wink:

(2) Some good functions are 'not' in this new version (I miss it ?)
a) for staking list, click the screen and add to the list.
b) curve point calcs.
c) stake log file.

(3) From Xg1.0 to FG2004, exporting ascii coordinates is so time-consuming for a big project (over 500 points). Looks like it has never been fixed.
Mr. Sad

fg2004

Postby Ed Gasbarre » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:19 am

I too have been using FieldGenius since it's inception and agree that the 2004 version is totally unfriendly. I can only test this version via the emulator because my ce device will not support both versions at once.

And what happened to the One-Set Side Shot semi auto routine?

XG was nearly perfect, maybe we can get ther again.

Ed Gasbarre PS
Ed Gasbarre

Postby bobL » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:38 am

We too upgraded to 2004 only to find the routines overly complicated and
time consuming. If they would have just fixed the problems in XG it
would have been almost a perfect program. Maybe they would consider having two versions of Fieldgenius for those who want the simplicity XG offered? Untill then we'll happily stay with XG.
bobL

Postby Mr. Sad » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Forgot to report one more 'bug':

In FG2004, the shooting button sometimes will be hiden during operation :shock:
Mr. Sad

Postby Jason Poitras » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:12 am

Hello,

Thank you for the input. We will revisit the areas in the program that have been mentioned in this post as time permits.

Will there be two version of FieldGenius, a basic and an advanced? At this point I would say, not likely. As we continue to address the areas that need improvement, the product will continue to evolve. I am confident that as FG2004 continues to evolve it will meet all your expectations and more.

Staking List
Pick point from screen to add to staking list added to wish list.

Curve Calc

Coming soon.

Staking Report

Cut sheet generator and reports coming soon.

One set sideshot auto routine

This is included in the multiset routine.

Shooting Button:

We've had reports of this, it is on our bug list.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:38 pm

What's wrong with giving the customers the option to use FG XG 2.0 while you are "fixing" FG2004?

Return to FieldGenius