New descriptions not updating

Discussion of MicroSurvey inCAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

New descriptions not updating

Postby jlooyestein » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:37 pm

Hi,

When I change a desc of a point, the point layers do not update.

example - Point 1 with desc CURB (point num, desc, elev & point on curb layer, as per automap settings). Change desc of Point 1 to tree (Automap is set to move ptnm, desc, elev & point to TREE layer), text value is changed on screen, but everything is still on CURB layer. I am using incad2004 sp2. I have the same results with mscad2004 sp9.
John Looyestein
MCHKTH SURVEYING LTD.
(a wholly owned subsidiary of
J.D. Barnes Limited)
5233 Stanley Ave - Unit #1
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Canada L2E 7C2
Phone (905)358-3693
Fax (905)358-6224
[email protected]
http://www.thesurveyors.ca
jlooyestein

Descriptions

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:48 am

This was done specifically to allow those that wanted to have some descriptions on layers other than the specified layers in AutoMAP.

To get what you need - after making all the edits, go under then MsPoints menu -> Points Database Utilities -> Update Drawing from Database.

This will ensure they are all on the layers you have defined.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Descriptions

Postby jlooyestein » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:33 am

Hi Glen,

What you say will work, but I don't use update drawing from database, unless absolutely necessary. It will move ALL the ptnm, desc and most the time consuming – elevations to their original positions. Ok, if you want to redo a couple days work of cleaning up elevations and descriptions. Can future releases have a toggle to let the user choose how Automap works? In the meantime I guess I’ll export the points, delete them and then import them back in. It will work, but it will be time consuming and the point history will be lost. Can you think of any other work arounds?

Thanks,
John Looyestein
MCHKTH SURVEYING LTD.
(a wholly owned subsidiary of
J.D. Barnes Limited)
5233 Stanley Ave - Unit #1
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Canada L2E 7C2
Phone (905)358-3693
Fax (905)358-6224
[email protected]
http://www.thesurveyors.ca
jlooyestein

Descriptions

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:13 am

Exporting and deleting the points will cause you the same issue as the update drawing from database command. Plus the history issue, as you just mentioned.

Running the AutoMAP connections will also do the same updates but again move the point info back to the original location.

The only command that does not move the point info is the Rescale Complete Drawing command - but it does not update the points.

It is a catch 22 situation. I would suggest setting the descriptions correctly as early in the drawing session as you are able - then update the drawing from the database - then do the editing to move the point info as desired.

I will ensure that your suggestion is added to our wish list for the development team.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey inCAD