Data collection and least squares wish list

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Data collection and least squares wish list

Postby K Smith » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:03 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible to create a routine in FG2005 to reduce some of the office work of changing point numbers of check shots or redundant ties to match those of the traverse stations so that they are the same in the active traverse editor (ATE) prior to a Least Squares adjustment.
My thinking is that if you could indicate in the FG that a particular shot was a redundant tie to an established traverse point than the data for that shot would not be reduced to a coordinate in the data collector and thus not have any issues having the same point number. Or perhaps the shot could be stored as a different number, as is the case now (as we like to inverse for checks), but the routine would re-assign the correct point number to the shot once opened up in the traverse editor.

Is this possible or is it wishful thinking? Any thoughts?

Kevin
K Smith

LSA

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:31 pm

It is something that can be examined for the future. We will add it to the list.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:36 am

Hi Kevin,

That is a great idea, one that I've also thought about. I think a good way of handling this would be to have an Point Alias field. This way when you store your point, say point 5, and it is actually the same as point 4, you could enter 4 as the alias id. Then in our Traverse Editor, we could make it smarter in that if you do a least squares computation, it uses the alias id for the shot.

It is on our long .............. list of feature requests.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius