[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - FG and Leica TRC 703

FG and Leica TRC 703

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

FG and Leica TRC 703

Postby CHRIS L » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:48 pm

Just went to look at the Lieca TRC 703 Auto series instrument at our local dealer.
I was wondering if you all had any demo time on this instr. with FG
It is a servo driven instrument that will Automatically turn to a stakeout angle, ect. From my previous post...you said FG will do that..
My question is that on the 700 auto instrument menu it shows the (left/right up/down) which I assume gives you the ability to rotote the insturment L/R U/D from the keypad on the Collector yet when I asked the dealers that he said that the only way turn the instrument was by using the horz control knob which to my HUGE dislike was very slow rotating the instrument.
Just wondered if you knew different that the data collector keypad will rotate the instrument.....it only seem to make since that a servo driven instrument would have that capability....unless Lieca has just programed it not to.

Thanks
Chris

P.S. The salesman was not what I would say to classy guy....really reminded me of trying to buy a used car!!!
CHRIS L

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi Chris,

When connected to the TCR 703 you can use the arrow keys on your data collector to turn the device. You can also define the angle that you want the intrument to turn to, or specify how much to turn by.

The fastest way to turn the instrument is to physically rotate the instrument. Then the horizontal and vertical controls can be used to accurately center your cross hairs on the object you're trying to sight.

The other method is to use Leica's ATR (Auto Target Recognition) feature where you turn the instrument towards a prism, and roughly sight the prism without centering the cross hairs. If ATR is turned on, as soon as you press the measure button, the instrument will automatically center on the prism for you. The ATR feature works really well.

I hope this help answer your question.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby CHRIS L » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:51 pm

Jason
Thanks for getting back to me. I figured the TRC 703 would be able to rotate the instrument from the DC....It just did not make any sense for it not to...so I might have to give the salesman a call back and talk to him about that. What we're trying to do is set up a cheaper robotc unit....Through the use of Tracker w/ class 1 bluetooth and the Guide lights in the TRC 703 along with the ATR function....I should be able to rotate the Gun close enough to the prism angle and then use the ATR to align it. Have you had any Clients try to work this up before? Figure its a short range Robotic....200 feet or so with the class 1 BT
Thanks
Chris
CHRIS L

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:28 am

Hi Chris,

In theory what you're describing would work, but you would find it very time consuming and frustrating. It will be very difficult to get the instrument pointed close enough to the prism for the ATR to function properly. The guide lights work really well for getting on line, but they don't tell you how close vertically the scope is pointing at the prism.

If you want to work in robotic mode, I would suggest spending the extra money and purchase a true robotic instrument. Just my two cents worth.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby CHRIS L » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks for getting back to me......that seems to the same concensus I'm getting from guys who use the Leica TS. Most have said robotics get funky to use under 100 feet....tracking gets real touchy
Thanks Alot
Chris
CHRIS L

Return to FieldGenius