Problem with FG2005 while RTK staking

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Postby Darcy Detlor » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:37 pm

Hello,

We will need to get more information about equipment you are using, because this is definitely some type of configuration problem. FieldGenius does not work this way if it is operating correctly. What computer is FieldGenius installed on, and what GPS system are you using?
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby Jack Armstrong » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:19 am

I am using the Radian IS rover with FieldGenius running on the Recon CE.NET.

Thanks

Jack
Jack Armstrong

Postby Darcy Detlor » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:41 am

Hi,

We need to start going down the list to verify all the settings.

We need all the baud rates you have set up between all the devices, and we need the correction method you have chosen; we need to know how you initialized the equipment; we need to know more about the Recon - memory available, what speed is it, how is the memory slider set on the unit - in other words how much ram have you allocated to FieldGenius; we need to know a whole lot more to figure out why your system is behaving this way.

I have seen the equipment running with Trimble, Sokkia, Novatel, Leica, Ashtech, Topcon, and even Allen Osborne equipment without this problem.

Even my Garmin eTrex updates at 1 Hz because that it the speed it outputs in NEMA. Something is configured funny.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby Jack Armstrong » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:10 pm

Recon 400mhz

Memory Slider.........
Storage Memory Allocated 15360kb..... In Use 6248kb
Program Memory Allocated 39632kb.... In Use 2908kb

FieldGenius 2005 startup screen 35mb of 38mb RAM

START REFERENCE BASE PROFILE

MODEL AND COMMUNICATION:
GPS Receiver
Model ------ Sokkia Radian
Port -------- COM1

Data Collector
Port ---------- COM1
Baud Rate --- 9600
Parity -------- None
Data Bits ---- 8
Stop Bits ---- 1

CORRECTION LINK
Mode --------------- Radio Pac Crest PDL
Message Type ----- CMR
Link Communication
GPS Port ----------- COM2
Baud Rate --------- 9600
Parity -------------- None
Data Bits ---------- 8
Stop Bits ---------- 1
Flow Control ------ None

START ROVER PROFILE

MODEL AND COMMUNICATION
GPS Receiver
Model ----------- Sokkia Radian IS
Port ------------- COM1

Data Collector
Port ------------ COM1
Baud Rate ----- 9600
Parity ---------- None
Data Bits------- 8
Stop Bits ------ 1

CORRECTION LINK
Mode--------------- Radio PAC Crest PDL
Message Type ---- CMR

LINK COMMUNICATION
GPS Port ---------- COM2
Baud Rate -------- 9600
Parity ------------- None
Data Bits --------- 8
Stop Bits --------- 1
Flow Control ----- None

Thank You

Jack
Jack Armstrong

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:42 pm

Hi,

You should make sure you have FieldGenius version 1.2 installed. It fixes a bug with the Novatel board. We found that FieldGenius was defaulting the communication to 9600.

Could you try increasing your baud rates to as high as you can. You're using a modern data collector that can support faster rates, you should use as much band width as possible.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Jack Armstrong » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:59 am

Hi,

I am using FieldGenius 1.2

FieldGenius will not connect to the rover if I use any baud rate other than 9600. It tells me it can not connect and then prompts me to autodetect. When I choose autodetect, it finds the rover at baud rate 9600.

I also tried the demo of Fieldgenius loaded onto a Ranger 200C 128mb. Same problem when trying to stake. It will only connect at 9600 also.

I have the latest firmware for the GPS units and the data collectors installed.

Let me clarify something while I am staking with FieldGenius in RTK mode.

The program is updating itself every second. That is evident by the position reported by FieldGenius slightly changing every second. The position reported by FieldGenius is where I was 10 to 11 seconds ago and not where I currently am. If I move a couple of feet, it takes FieldGenius 10 to 11 seconds to catch up to me.

Thanks

Jack
Jack Armstrong

sokkia gps slow updating

Postby Adams » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:23 pm

I had the same problem when running the Radian IS as a rover w/ a Radian base and also noticed that there was a problem storing topo points(high rms/ poor precisions) if I didn't pause for a moment before trying to mesure the point, but if I use the Radian IS as the base and the Radian as a rover it works great on staking and topo
Adams

Postby Jack Armstrong » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:35 pm

I'm glad (I think) to hear someone else has had the same problem with FieldGenius and the Radian IS rover.

Using the Radian IS for a base and the Radian for the rover is not a very good alternative.

I would have to carry around a 12V motorcycle battery in a backpack if I were to do that.

I find it very interesting that Jason said I should use a higher baud rate.

The Radian IS rover will not connect at a higher baud rate than 9600.

TDS Survey Pro GPS is on both my Recon and my Ranger. Both of them are configured to connect at 9600 baud rate and have no problem giving instant updated accurate positions while in RTK mode.

FieldGenius, on the other hand, reports positions that are 10 to 11 seconds old while staking a point.

Imagine that I am walking to a point while in stake mode and that I am walking at 3 feet per second. When FieldGenius tells me I am on, or near, the point to be staked, I have already walked 30 feet past the point.

Thanks

Jack
Jack Armstrong

Postby Darcy Detlor » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:43 pm

John, (yes, we know that you are John Roberson and not Jack Armstrong)

It's obvious that we need to get a set of Sokkia equipment in for testing. Something is not being configured correctly. The Sokkia has a configuration file in it that we are using. Various methods are available to modify the configuration file in the receivers.

Running with a higher baud rate is just good sense, because the equipment is definitely fast enough to take the data, but if the data is coming too slowly it will be a problem. GPS gear from Leica, Topcon, and Trimble normally runs at 38400 baud so they have 4 times the speed.

Perhaps the TDS software is modifying the configuration file to change the amount of data that is coming from the Rover.

Until we can get a set of receivers in to our office we are only guessing. The last time we asked for a set of Sokkia equipment we were only able to get 1/2 of the set from Point, Inc. Only a very few of our customers will ship their gear to us for testing, because they need it to make $$$.

John, we knew that you were the secret author of this thread from the beginning, because of the IP address that you use. Since you have not purchased any products from us, and since there has been a lot of friction between yourself and various staff at our company (including me) I would prefer it that you just use your TDS data collector. Although we gave you a free, not for resale copy of FieldGenius for your testing, it was not intended for you to use it in a production environment.

End of Thread.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius