Questions on coordinate transform with FG 2005 on Recon

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Questions on coordinate transform with FG 2005 on Recon

Postby ianw2 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:18 pm

I specialize in boundary and topo.

From the stand point of doing topo, FieldGenius is probably the closest thing I’ve ever used to true “Field to Finish”. The topo functionality is one of the best I’ve used in 18 years of surveying.

Normally, when I take on a boundary project, I pre-calculated the boundary based on record information. I use N=20,000, E=50,000 for Pt. #1. By using my Topcon HiPer Lite GPS units, I can place the actual field work on State Plane Coordinates for my zone (California VI – NGS 0406). These coordinate pairs are in the N=2,200,000, E=6,100,000 range.

When I set up my base, the coordinate pair is so far from my SPC values that I haven’t been able to use the Point ID feature to establish the base position. When I collect measured values on my pre-calculated points and do a transformation, the measured points are transformed to the pre-calculated values and I end up working in my pre-calculated “local” system. How do I reverse this and move the pre-calculated points to the SPC measured values?

Second question: By statute, we work in US Survey Feet in California. When I create a FieldGenius file in MicroSurvey and export it into FieldGenius, the units are in International Feet and I cannot change the setting in FieldGenius. Is there a way to make sure that I work in US Survey Feet instead of International Survey Feet?

Final point: In the Map Screen in FieldGenius, I can tap on any line or piece of linework and get information about that line. FieldGenius “knows” which line is which and has the information for that line segment available. Is there any way to be able to select the next point I’m going to measure by tapping the appropriate line instead of having to click on and accept the correct line in the linework table? For example, I’m doing a simple topo of a road bed with just EP:1 (Edge Pavement Line #1), YS:1 (Yellow Stripe Line #1), and EP:2 (Edge Pavement Line #1). After I’ve got the first two points for each line, the line work shows up nicely and they’re growing wonderfully. Why can’t I tap the appropriate line, say the EP:1 line when my next shot is going to be on the EP:1 ground feature and have Field Genius “know” that’s what I want? It should be relatively simple to set this up since the recognition of the linework is already in place. This function would make the data collection even faster!

“Enquiring minds want to know!”

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and input!
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby ianw2 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:20 pm

BTW, Darcy, I'm buying my copy in the morning! I'll call to give someone in sales my Card number and data. I don't feel entirely comfortable purchasing through Yahoo! (think about it...it's kind of like flying on an airplane manufactured by a company called Bo(e)ing!)

Are you guys in the office by 5:30am PDT? :D
Ian Wilson
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:32 am

Hi Ian,

1) Instead of making the local coordinates your control, switch this around. This will force the transformation to go the other way.

2) Currently in MSCAD 2004 there is only system defaults for Feet and Meters as you already know. The feet toggle is only used to help our labeling routines compute correct text heights and has no affect on the coordinates in your project. The problem you're running into is when the FieldGenius project is created, it creates a file named msurvey.ini file and in this file you will see Units=FEET. To correct the units, simply open the ini file with notepad and change it to Units=USFEET. Then upload it to your data collector. We will add an option in a future version of MSCAD that allows you to specify US Survey Feet for your FieldGenius projects.

3) You can tap on a figure and when the figure toolbar opens you can press the make current button. The button is on the bottom row, and moving from left to right, it would be the third button. It has a picture of a cyan arrow pointing to a line.

When this is pressed it will make the selected figure current.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby ianw2 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:56 pm

I tried switching the Control Points and the Measured Points today. It didn't work. FG only wants to tranlate the GPS derived points, not the pre-calculated points.

This may be something that needs to be addressed in future versions of FG.

As far as the units, I've got the work around going. I'll look forward to seeing this set up in future versions of MSCAD/FG.

I'll try the button thing tomorrow. Got a cute little topo for an addition to a property in Palm Springs. $1.5Million house and they're adding a nice little guest house. I'll post photos and screen shots later!
Ian Wilson
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

transformations

Postby nvolny » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:33 am

Just a couple questions and comments along this thread. First, I believe most GPS field software in my expeirience won't let you transform local coordinates that do not have a latitude, longitude, & ellipsoid height These typically have to be moved ala rotate, translate, scale.

My question is, is there a way to import Latitude, Longitude, Ellipsoid heigt of known points and use them with Local coordinates to create a transformation? Or, do the points have to be observed in the field?
nvolny

Return to FieldGenius