A good computor (internet) anti spyware program

A general sounding board for non-product specific surveying issues

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

A good computor (internet) anti spyware program

Postby T.M. Moretz » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:22 am

8) This is not really survey related but anyone who spends any time on the internet (transfering files, visiting some web pages) runs the risk of those web sites placing spyware on your computor - little programs that track where you go on the 'net so that they and others can send you spam that's more suited to your tastes. While your're surfing, the spyware is sending out information and thus slowing your surfing speed, big deal if your're on a dial-up connection, but even if you have cable or DSL the resulting spam can be a nusiance. www.lavesoft.nu has a little program to download that will scan your system and detect & remove these little critters for you. Some posters on the POB web site said they found tens and some over one hundred spyware cookies on their computor. It's a free program and it's good.
T.M. Moretz

URL

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:17 am

Are you sure of the URL and that it is currently available? I just tried the link you gave and got the message saying it was not available and then it checked to see if I could register it myself - it said I could being it was not currently registered on the WWW.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

My bad...

Postby T.M. Moretz » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:22 am

:oops: It's www.lavasoft.nu not lavesoft
T.M. Moretz

THANKS!

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:02 pm

Thanks Ted - I ran it and indeed there were many cookies on my system that should not have been there.

Good little tool!

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Cookies

Postby T.M. Moretz » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:28 pm

As you most likely noticed it is very configurable. Since not all spyware are just cookies, I set it to scan my registry too :!: Doubleclick.com is notorious for placing these things in computors and selling the information. You don't even go to their website to get it; it is automatically loaded from other websites that they sponcer and the cookie is imperceivably placed in your computor without you clicking anything on their page - sometimes in several places. Honest cookies are not effected such as MicroSurvey and POB just to name a couple. Good luck.
T.M. Moretz

Return to Surveying Topics