Metric to imperial

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Metric to imperial

Postby bobL » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:15 pm

We recently completed a 600 pt job in metric, using an independently run
benchmark. All our checks to the benchmark went smoothly. We then went back to the site a month later to get additional shots and for some reason the job comes up in imperial but the distances and elevations are still in metric.We checked the System Defaults which was in metric but for some reason in the Settings it is in feet? It won't let me change to metric and when I try to do an Ocuppy Pt ,the HR and HI is in feet.?The HUD is also displaying feet.We've tried a soft reset and we've checked the gun to make sure it's in meter's. I am prettty sure when we started the job that we entered it in meters or else the elevations wouldn't have worked.
bobL

Unit Change

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:30 pm

We have seen this happen a few times now and it is an easy fix but you do have to manually edit the jobname.INI file. (found under the FieldGenius folder in the Project folder in the jobname folder on the storage card.)(Make sure you are not running FG at the time.)

Here is part of a sample .INI file:

[FILES]
ProjectType=FG
FCF=\Storage Card\MicroSurvey FieldGenius\FG Projects\mscad.csv
CurrRaw=2
Units=METERS
LandXML=
DXF=
FEATURELIST=

The line that shows Units (in bold above) can be manually changed in the hand held unit by running an edit program. Open the INI file (it will have the name of the job with the .INI on the end of it) and change the line from UNITS=FEET to UNITS=METERS

This won't be an issue in FieldGenius 2004 as we are now allowing you to change the units at any time.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby lk2064 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:02 pm

i have the same problem as above, all my distances are in meters, but the screen keeps saying i'm in feet, so when i take a backsight shot i get a huge dist. error, i'm using fg 2005 and i can't seem to figure out how to change it, there is nothing in the ini. file so i tried adding it like mentioned above,but that did nothing still says i'm in feet even though my distances were recorded in meters, i had to revert to the old way using just the totoal station and my old hp 200lx data collecttor process t-files anf d-files make a cogo file and then export from cogo and import in fg 2005 not very fun, can anybody tell me how to fix this or change it, because i don''t want the same problem when i go back again.
lk2064

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:00 pm

In FieldGenius 2004 and 2005 the units settings isn't in the ini file. If you want to change the units, you have to edit the last MO record in your raw file. You have to change the UN enumerated value to equal one of the following values.

UN0 = Feet
UN1 = Meters
UN2 = US Survey Feet

The easiest way to edit it is by using the traverse edit function in the FieldGenius program.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby lk2064 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:24 pm

thanx man, that did the trick, i edited the raw file and everything's good now.
lk2064

bobl

Postby bobL » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:17 am

Just encountered this problem in FG 2005, WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?????????????????????????????????? very time consuming and annoying to have to edit this stuff manually, this should have been fixed two versions ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bobL

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:36 am

We found one more area where this problem is occuring and it is fixed in the 1.3 version. The problem occurs if you open an existing project, then without closing it, you create a new project.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby lk2064 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:09 am

thats what i find also, it seems to happan if your working on a job in feet and then go to project manager and open a job in meters or vise versa, without exiting fieldgenius and starting it up fresh. so every time i switch jobs i exit FG and restart, its kind of a pain but not too bad, i can live with it. i also notices that if your working on a job with say 200 pt's and then you switch to a job with say 50 pt's ,it tries to use the next available point from the last job, so again you need to exit and restart to fix the problem. hopefully these bugs are fixed soon, but until then i can live with it, i've kinda got into the routine of exiting all the time now.
lk2064

Return to FieldGenius