Description, Feature, Attribute, Notes Data and Export

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Description, Feature, Attribute, Notes Data and Export

Postby mlbrack » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:12 pm

Disappointed with .shp (shape) file export capability of FG05.

I desperately want to attach feature/attribute data to polylines rather than the on the points that make up the polylines.

I would be happy being able to export the "note" field that can be added to a "figure" when it is created.

FG figures, exported as shape files, lack any data except for their "description" and lack "note" field asscoatiated with figure.

This data occurs in the "figure.dbf" native to FG, but lack of corresponding identifier in the "polyline.shp" such as "fig_num" makes it impossible to union even the "note" with simple database query.

Pretty well exhausted any ideas for automatically getting data onto the polyline shape file. That means manual manipulation of the data. Inefficient.

Any ideas, comment, exerience?

Mike
mlbrack

Postby mlbrack » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:42 am

I've licked this problem and can automate attaching attribute data to polylines. It's a little complex, but functional.

If anyone is interested, email, and I'll pass on the info.

Mike
mlbrack

Postby ianw2 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:44 am

Absolutely interested! Email to you is on the way!
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby mlbrack » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:50 am

Ian...I've been trying to email, but it keeps being sent back for a faulty address...

Here's the gist.

Quick response. That post is only five minutes old.

I can’t really talk about the process right now, as I am near drowning with urgent work. I will get back with you, and anyone else that responds, in the near future.

To get this done, I’m using Autocad Map and Microsoft Access. You’ll have to be able to import shape files into your mapping software and have to be able to connect to an SQL database. The programming/querying structure is pretty complex, but once the framework is in place specific jobs are a breeze to “GIS”. We’re an archaeological company (www.desert.com and www.cdarc.org) so the types of stuff we map and collect data on are diverse and complex, but should be pretty easy to setup for PLS. There might be some other ways to do it if I wrap my head around it, but I had to make FG fit our existing GIS framework.

I’ve got a band aid, duct tape, and chewing gum model put together right now that works. Upgrades to follow with testing.

I’ll explain as best I can my process, but it might be more than a land surveyor wants to bite off. If that’s the case, I could probably talk my company into hiring me out as a consultant for a couple days to make this happen for you.

My thoughts on FG are exactly the same as yours, not exactly what I want, but absolutely the best fit out there. Surprised survey applications have not started to approach data collection in GIS format. There’s a few out there, but most are made in Europe, are ultra-spendy and require a laptop in the field. All are bad options.

I spent close to two weeks researching data collectors and software. Microsurvey was absolutely the only company that made any attempt to sell me a product. Trimble, Topcon, etc, just didn’t care if I bought their equipment or not. Further, none of the sale people had much idea of how to run their junk and nobody had any idea what the letter GIS stood for. I was pretty much ready to kill when I found MS. They knew their products (and limitations) and wanted to help me get my mission done. I was at the point where I was going to go to pencil and paper just to keep from giving money to the big survey company monsters.

All and all, really happy. Hell of a step up from HP48.

I’ll be in touch.

Mike
mlbrack

Postby ianw2 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:40 pm

I do not know why, but for about 5 hours today, my email would not work.

We are in the process of moving to a new office and getting internet established there. We will be hoting our own website and email through our own server. The only thing I can figure out is that the ISP moved our static IP a day earlier than expected.

You know hte really great thing about the people at MicroSurvey? They a) understand surveying - many of them actually have time in the field! - and b) they know their products are not perfect! They rely on us to provide suggestions as to how to make MicroSurvey products better. They don;t just give that lip service; they bust their tails to come through.

MSCAD has been a fantastic product for us. The CAD engine's ability to keep up with MSCAD started to wane. Darcy and the others moved to a better CAD engine! Talk about changing the guts of your product!

Try talking to anyone at AutCAD or TDS about potential upgrades to their product. Hee hee...that is if you can even get a warm body on the other end of the phone to talk to you at all!

Hell, I can call up and ask to talk to Darcy himself and get him!
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby CHRIS L » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:20 am

Ian
I'm with you. You cant ask for a better bunch of guys up there at Microsurvey. The only company I have seem that not only wants to know what you want to see in thier software, but works there butts off to make it possible. Unlike others who only give you what they think you need.

Definately the easiest company to get ahold of. Drop them a email and you very typically get one back the same day. Heck, I'm still waiting on a email from Carslon and that was 8 months ago....hmmmm, wonder why we went with Microsurvey.
Keep up they great work guys!!!!

Chris
CHRIS L

Return to FieldGenius