[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - Which is better: IPaq or standard Data Collecor?

Which is better: IPaq or standard Data Collecor?

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Which is better: IPaq or standard Data Collecor?

Postby Steve Adams » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:42 am

I think I will like FG, but haven't decided what to run it on yet.

Looks like the IPaq would give you more screen size, but it is better to get an Allegro, etc for durability reasons, no case, more buttons, etc?
Thanks,
Steve
Steve Adams

Postby surveytech1 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:44 am

Tracker or the Allegro. The keyboard makes a difference.
Thanks,
Jesse N. Goins, Jr., LSIT
Project Manager
Lumsden Associates, PC
surveytech1

Postby Steve Adams » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:53 am

Thanks, Tech.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve Adams

Postby CHRIS L » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:25 pm

STEVE
The Allegro is the porsche of data collector.....top of the line....completely waterproof...they show a picture of it submerged on the website, but I have yet the guts to try it with ours....We purchased a Allegro CX and a Tracker from our Microsurvey Dealer last April. Typically use the Tracker for day to day surveys and the allegro is used with the robotic....I used a Ipaq for around a year proir to getting the tracker and allegro and from a stand point on convience. I would go with a Keypaded unit. The pop up keypad screen keypad is ok, real thing is more convient. We got the membrane keypad with the tracker and kinda wish we had ended up with the other button pad that is available...Its just kinda stiff, but it does work and you very rarely push the wrong number/button. I love the Allegro keypad....big soft clicking buttons, lookes easier to use with gloves. Since we use it with our robotic it has the Extra radio built in and is a little heavier than the Tracker...thats why the tracker is used more....

I'm sure your MS sales rep can answer this, but I assume they are still sending out Tracker demos.....you get to use it for a week or so in your environment with no salesman hanging over you telling you what to do, how to do it....all you pay is shipping.. You get to see how it works with your equipment, see if your crew guys like it, ect. We loved the freedom from not having the salesman hangin over us...

I think the base Allegro CX (color screen is a must if you ask me) was around $3000-3500. The base tracker is what 1900...I would go up to the IP65 rated one....water resistant, dust proof....has the real buttons as opposed to the membrane.
All in all...we like the Tracker and the Allegro....either is a great Choice....especially matched with the Field Genius software.

Just my LONG 0.02 cents

Chris
CHRIS L

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:55 am

The new Tracker's are rated IP-65, meaning it is completely dust-proof, and it is protected against water jets being sprayed at it (not complete submersion). So you can take it out in the rain and not worry about it.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby CHRIS L » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:33 am

having the older version of the Tracker, Im my opion, I would say the original unit is sealed pretty tight everywhere except the screen...I think this is where most people were having trouble....with the angle data collectors sit on a tripod....any burst of water is going to settle in the grove at the bottom of the screen which from looking at it would most likely leak into the unit and cause problems....

Do you often work in the pouring rain? Would you leave a total station exposed in a down pour? I would say the rating would cover most rain storms....but I wouldn't leave anything as precise as survey equipment out in the rain

We also own a Allegro CX which according to the manufacture can be submerged completely...actual show it on the website, but I still dont have the guts to try it with ours...I dont think I ever would
CHRIS L

Not the IPAC

Postby pasurvey » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:11 am

I still have the IPAQ which funtions fine. It's not the the IPAC that I have issues with, but it's the glossy membrane of the environmental case. I find myself straining my eyes to view it due to the glare from the membrane.
LP
pasurvey

Return to FieldGenius